Arctic cat Power valves

Gil Haugan

My power valves do not seam to operate.  I do not see any indication in the software that they are opening or closing.  I don't think they have ever operated with the vipec box.  I have checked the mechanical parts power valve system and they are ok.  Wiring would be the only other possibility.  I have a 2008 m1000 engine with the 800 vipec box.  I have not changed the stock 800 vipec settings for the power valves.  Everything else is working.  Any thoughts.  

I dont have much info in my files and I believe the AC800 ecu was completely unique hardware designed specifically for that vehicle so a lot of my Vipec general knowledge doesnot cross over.  

However, I would start by looking at the runtimes screen (F12) Auxilary tab and you will see Power valve position on the right hand side.  I suspect this may only be commanded position rather than actual position but Im not 100% sure on that.  I do see in the schematics there is a powervalve position sensor connected to the ECU but I dont know if that can be viewed in the software or is just something that works in the background.

The power valve motor is connected to pins 29 & 30 on the B connector, so you can check across those pins for voltage - I would expect the multimeter to show +ve voltage when moving in one directon and -ve voltage when moving the opposite way.

fUCYLJX.png

• 1 month later...

It appears that everything is hooked up correctly and A4 and A5 are both on.  If the ECU is powered up with an external battery would/should the power valves go through their cycling like when the engine is started with the stock?    My thought is that if there is any mechanical issues with binding cables or the servo motor is rubbing on something and I could check voltages.    

I have +10.25 at idle volts across each of the wires 29 and 30.  I have another power valve, so i hooked it up next to the machine.   My thoughts that this would eliminate any possible mechanical binding.   I opened the valves and started the machine, i expected to see the valves close at idle, no movement.  With the engine running i moved the servo by hand pretty easily i would have been fighting the servo.     

11 hours ago, Gil Haugan said:

I have +10.25 at idle volts across each of the wires 29 and 30. 

So do you have one multimeter probe on pin 29 and the other on 30 when testing? (you should)  And you should also see this voltage change or reverse when you go above the RPM settings you have set in the power valve settings (you can set these to just above idle to check).

Just to make sure, I can disconnect the power valve 5 wire connection and check the out puts of 29 and 30 from the ECU?   Or do in need to have the connector plugged in while testing?  

My next test was to plug the stock ecu in and see if it jogs the servo or not. 

Just to be certain, there is not a box that needs to be checked in the ECU setup to enable the power valves to operate?  Right?

I do not get any voltage across those 2 pins.  I thought i did at first but it went to 0.000 volts.  I switched to a stock ecu and I did get some 350mv.  I did not remove the belt, so i could not rev it high enough to see if it switched to negative.   I expected to see 10 to 12 volts.  What should it be?  I revved it to just below engagement of the clutch.  

Looking at the wiring diagram and the repair manual it says the power valves runs on power from the rectifier, it test 12 volts out.  That circuit connects to pin 34 Low bus power on the B connector and that test 12V.   I have nothing coming out of pins 29 and 30.  I have read that if the ECU doesn't  have the proper voltage it tries 3 times same with cable adjustment then it locks out.  I have checked the servo with 12v power and it operates.  I have tried hooked up the gauges and lights to make sure i don't have a high voltage condition, still no voltage to the servo.  Is the stock 800 Vipec box setup with some of these limp mode triggers?   I am starting to think that I need to send in the ECU for testing.  

I would set the power valve high to something below idle also as a test.  

If you get no voltage from 29/30 with that test then I would suggest you email [email protected] for their advice (may be on holiday now).  

As far as I know the arctic cat ecu is fully encapsulated in epoxy so may not be serviceable.