masap

BMW E46 M3 S54 Dual VANOS wiring

BMW S54 Dual VANOS wiring

Hello

I am currently trying to control the S54 VANOS using a link ECU.

Wiring information for BMW VANOS solenoids is published in the PCLINK help file, but it seems to be slightly different from the actual S54 VANOS solenoid wiring.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Wiring diagram: Wiring Information > Output Wiring > Variable Valve Timing (VVT) Solenoids > Specific VVT Applications > BMW VANOS Solenoids
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wiring diagram shows the red cable from the inlet and exhaust cam retarded solenoids, but the actual S54 VANOS solenoid does not have a red cable. Cables of three colors, green, black and brown are connected.
Is this red cable connected to +++ S50 VANOS Solenoid +++?

The help file also states that “Pins 2 and 5 on the connector must be changed to be supplied with '12V key on' rather than ground as wired by the OEM”.
However, pins 2 and 5 of the solenoid are brown cables and are connected to Aux outputs 1 and 3 of the link ECU in the wiring diagram.

Can someone tell me the correct connection between the link ECU and the VANOS solenoid?

Regards,
Masap

I think you are are mixing the S50 and S54 wiring info.  The picture at the top of the page is for the S50.

I dont know the colours of the factory wiring but the S54 Vanos solenoid should be wired as follows:

Pin 1  Inlet retard Aux 1

Pin 2  Ignition Switched +12V

Pin 3  Inlet advance Aux 2

Pin 4  Exhaust retard Aux 3

Pin 5  Ign Switched +12V

Pin 6  Exhaust advance Aux 4.

Diodes must be removed as per the help file.

Hello !!
I'd like to install a S54 in my E36 and use a Link ECU.

I've been curious about this exact issue. Would you be so kind to point me to reference material so I can start researching how this is done?
I'm considering doing this project later this year, I plan to buy a crashed car and swap things over.

Once I have the stock engine running on the Link ECU, I'll pull the engine, then start building to the class rules.

Thanks
Chris