No spark on Atom II

Funwithmonkeys

Hi Guys,

I am just starting the conversion of my Datsun 510 to EFI. I have a G4+ AtomII. I am just looking for something to get it running so I can get it to the tuner so he can put it on the dyno and properly tune it. The motor is a custom built 2.3L based on the L20B.

Thanks in advance 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi there,

Here are my steps for diagnosing no-spark in almost any ECU:

• Power - is there 12V at the coil?  There should be 12V between the inner and outer pins on an LS3 Coil Connector
  • Power - is there 12V at the ECU?  There should be 12V between Pin 5 and both pins 25 & 34 on the Atom ECU
  • Comms - you can communicate with the ECU, correct?
  • Triggers - Are you reading Engine RPM during cranking?
  • Triggers - Do you have any errors on Trigger 1 or Trigger 2 which increment under cranking?

What is your trigger setup?  Would you like to post the map that you are using, I'll be happy to look.

Cheers,

Neel

Thanks Neel,

I have tested voltage at the coils and it is good. I am just not seeing a trigger voltage for the coil. I should see 5v on the ignition wires (blue with a colored stripe) and I am seeing nothing. When I checked them all 4 appear to be direct to ground. I use the ignition test and I am seeing no voltage at all on the ignition wires. 

The ecu is working fine. I can connect and I see engine rpm. 

What are you using to confirm “there is no ignition signal”?  In test mode the dwell (~6V) is only 2ms long so a multimeter or incandescent test light will not be fast enough to see it.  What specific LS coils have you used? - be aware there are two different pinouts for the common LS coils.

Sorry I thought it would be a longer signal on the test mode. 

I am using ls1 coils. I have a ls wire harness  for the coils so the wiring was pretty easy to figure out. With a spark plug attached and grounded I see no spark in test mode so is there another way to check it?

I would start by confirming the pinout is correct at the coils.  From memory the  early ls1 coils the two right hand pins are ground, the far left is 12V, the remaining is the ign signal.  There is a pinout for the early and late gm coils in the help file (I’m not at a pc now).  Search LS1 and you will find it.

I wouldn't put a lot into not seeing 5V on the ignition outputs until we'll confirmed the most basic thing:  Is the ECU actually trying to trigger the coil?

1.  No trigger errors?

2.  Do you have injector pulse when cranking?

3.  Do you have an oscilloscope or access to one?

Thanks,

Neel

Ok so I feel like a bit of an idiot. I had a bad ground. I am now getting spark when I do a ignition test. The link is seeing the cam and crank trigger inputs and I am getting no errors. I get no spark or injector pulse when cranking. I do not have a scope. I am very new to injection so I may be missing something obvious.