Bosch 044 issue

RPS13180SX

Hi all,

I brought this Bosch 044 from DSR Turbo in 2012, had it sitting away in dry storage while I put the car on hold. now I have it all running the pumps running it does not sound consistent when running, I brought it from DSR turbo because I knew it would be a genuine pump, below is the video of the pump, from the sound does it sound defective to you or is it supposed to sound like that?

Any help is appreciated, I would like to know so I can replace it before I heard to the dyno after the covid lockdown is over

cheers

The 044's are fairly sensitive to cavitation and that can give them an erratic sound similar to what you have there.  Im not saying that is your problem, but something to consider.  They dont like to "suck" at all.  They typically need to be pressure feed by a lift pump or gravity fed by mounting below fuel level.  Definitely no filter on the suction side and the inlet hose needs to have little restriction.  Cavitation is usually worse as temps increase, so if it is quieter and more consistent on a cold morning and gets worse when the fuel or day  warms up then that would be a strong indication of cavitation.

12 hours ago, Adamw said:

The 044's are fairly sensitive to cavitation and that can give them an erratic sound similar to what you have there.  Im not saying that is your problem, but something to consider.  They dont like to "suck" at all.  They typically need to be pressure feed by a lift pump or gravity fed by mounting below fuel level.  Definitely no filter on the suction side and the inlet hose needs to have little restriction.  Cavitation is usually worse as temps increase, so if it is quieter and more consistent on a cold morning and gets worse when the fuel or day  warms up then that would be a strong indication of cavitation.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply, its feed by a new walbro 500hp pump, new fuel tank, new lines, fittings, new surge tank, as per the photo, which the only restriction I can think of is the 90 degree fitting coming out of the pump, which that braided hose connects to the fuel line
New in- tank Walbro 500hp feeds the surge tank, bosch 044 is connect to the bottom port of the surge tank and the braided line connects to the factory fuel line, though to a NZKW inline billet fuel filter 35 micron, then to the fuel rail.

Top 90 degree line into surge tank is from the in tank walbro
Top 0 degree fitting in the side of the tank is the return to the fuel tank
90 degree fitting in the face is the return from the fuel rail

Fuel-Setup.thumb.jpg.a121b21ea139b53a32fd1f40453c90a5.jpg

my only thoughts next would be to;
1. Check the voltage of both pumps then replace the dash 6 fitting from the pump to the standard fuel line to a full flow fitting?
2. Ive brought the billet LS1 alternator adapter to fit to my sr20det and replace the factory alternator(80-90amps) with a new LS1 alternator which is 140 amps, to help with the draw of the twin cooling fans and twin pumps, when the fans kick in the strain is quite bad.

3. Borrow my mates pump and hook that in and see if I may have a defective pump

• 1 month later...

Found the issue, it was due to voltage drop, from 13.9 volts to 13.84v, when the twin electric fans, heater, lights where going it was running at 13.78 volts, dropped to 13.7v at its lowest and was affecting the fuel supply