2JZ ignition timing unstable

Styp

Hi,

I encounter the problem, that the ignition timing is not stable when frozen at 10 degrees. I adjust it well with the frozen timing option and as soon as I rev to 3000 or 4000 RPM, the timing is off by about 4 degrees. So idle is set correctly at 10, and with revolutions of the engine the timing starts to be off. The delay adjustment is in my experience between 60 - 100us based on the R35 COP that I use but this delay doesn't help a number bigger than 200 would be needed! So my conclusion is, that there is a bug in my current setup.

What I did so far:

• Trigger 1 and Trigger 2 is set correctly
  • Trigger Config is 'Default 2jz'
  • Arming for Trigger 1 and Trigger 2 works (car doesn't bog, no trigger errors!)
  • VVT acitvated, VVT offset calibrated!

At the moment I have no idea where to look or what to investigate, I tried numerous arming setups checked it with the onboard trigger scope.

What I think it might be:

• Assuming that the 'Trigger' is seen as a 'Trigger' while the voltage jumps above the arming voltage, results in the conclusion that a very steep UP flank is needed! My signal as recorded does not provide such a steep ramp...
  • Is my polarity just wrong?

Attached the files for 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 RPM.

4000.jpg.7e99e1bfda39c7ca755dfd4bc6f44018.jpg3000.jpg.4ade6de69ada296bcc13fccc049b4f12.jpg2000.jpg.7885d0deca53321d410d79b7eb3f9022.jpg1000.jpg.9acc4e46cf6b00be6e36d0caa05b0948.jpg

Thanks for the support!

Cheers
Styp

Have you setup your ignition timing delay? The setting is in your trigger calibration set base timing window

My bad, just read that again and saw you have looked at that

As far as I'm aware the trigger point is where the falling edge crosses 0 and it looks like you have the right trigger polarity.

If you have a vvt 2JZ are you using the 1JZ VVTi trigger setup or the trigger setup listed in the help for a 2JZ-GTE?

Arming threshold will not change timing unless you have lots of noise which I dont see in your scopes.  As per Vaughans response, if it is a general drift with RPM that you are seeing then I would be expect you will get it closer by adjusting delay.

Also, check you are on recent firmware, there have been some improvements to high tooth count decoding over the last couple of years.

1 minute ago, Vaughan said:

are you using the non VVTi 2JZ trigger setup on a VVTi motor?

No I use the trigger system of the VVTI engine on a VVTI motor.
I have to check if the VVTI cam was frozen at 0, but in the end that should not make a difference...

I am super picky with the details, don't like messy baselines...

• 1 month later...

I dont see anything else to suggest from the info you have given.

Is the spark edge set to falling?  Has the factory ignitor been removed?

Is your timing light a non-advance type?  Are you checking timing with an HT lead between coil and spark plug?