Difficulty calibrating rotary metering oil pump

Pete_89t2

I'm having a bit of difficulty calibrating the oil metering pump in my series 6 FD after rewiring the harness to add OMP support with my Link G4+ Fury. To rule out hardware problems with the OMP itself, I built a test harness to temporarily wire it up to my series 5 FC, which is managed by an AEM Infinity, and result was the pump tracks as its commanded by the AEM Infinity from 0 - 100% and anywhere in between with zero issues, so I'm confident the pump is good.

I've think I've been following the calibration procedure in the PCLink help file to the letter, but there have been some deviations with regards to those directions. To best describe the problems I'm having, please refer to the attached PDF extract from the PCLink help file. I'll refer back to the step # in the attached to describe the problem.

Steps #1 through 3 - Had no issues there, used AN4 as the position sensor.

Step #4 - Apparently once you set the AUX 8 output to "Rotary Oil Pump" in step #3, the option to select "Set Stepper Type to Unipolar (6 Terminal)" as stated in Step #4 no longer exists. Is this just a documentation glitch? I assumed it was and pressed on to the next step. The pump is wired exactly as described in the help file though.

Step #6-1:  After following step #5 to configure AN4 as my "Rotary OilP Posn" sensor, I found that I couldn't see any runtime voltage values for AN4 during step #6-1 and the subsequent steps in the calibration procedure. Instead, AN4 runtime values would indicate the %, so I couldn't "write down voltages for later use" after doing the steps to run the pump to full open & closed, but I did jot down the percentages provided. They were going in the right direction, i.e., smaller % numbers at fully closed than fully open, but they were no where near 0% and 100%

At this point, I'm stumped on how I can complete this procedure without being able to view the runtime voltages? What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Rotary Oil Pump Calibration Procedure Help File.pdf

8 hours ago, Pete_89t2 said:

Step #4 - Apparently once you set the AUX 8 output to "Rotary Oil Pump" in step #3, the option to select "Set Stepper Type to Unipolar (6 Terminal)" as stated in Step #4 no longer exists. Is this just a documentation glitch? I assumed it was and pressed on to the next step. The pump is wired exactly as described in the help file though.

It shows correctly for me in the Aux 8 menu.  If it doesnt for you, can you attach a copy your map.

GnIs2fl.png

8 hours ago, Pete_89t2 said:

Step #6-1:  After following step #5 to configure AN4 as my "Rotary OilP Posn" sensor, I found that I couldn't see any runtime voltage values for AN4 during step #6-1 and the subsequent steps in the calibration procedure. Instead, AN4 runtime values would indicate the %, so I couldn't "write down voltages for later use" after doing the steps to run the pump to full open & closed, but I did jot down the percentages provided. They were going in the right direction, i.e., smaller % numbers at fully closed than fully open, but they were no where near 0% and 100%

Yeah, looks like an oversight there sorry.  What I would suggest as the easiest option, is temporarily set your AN Volt channel to "Voltage 0-5V", then do the calibration and note down the voltges, change it back to Rotary Oil pump position after doing that open close step.

28 minutes ago, Adamw said:

It shows correctly for me in the Aux 8 menu.  If it doesnt for you, can you attach a copy your map.

GnIs2fl.png

Yeah, looks like an oversight there sorry.  What I would suggest as the easiest option, is temporarily set your AN Volt channel to "Voltage 0-5V", then do the calibration and note down the voltges, change it back to Rotary Oil pump position after doing that open close step.

My current map is attached, the stepper motor type doesn't show in that menu for me. BTW, don't know if this matters or not, but after my rewire job was complete, I did as many of the necessary changes to my tune file as I could "offline" (i.e., edited on my laptop, not connected to my ECU). Not sure now if that stepper motor type option was in there or not when I was editing to creat the attached file, maybe it was. But then after I loaded the attached map onto the ECU, that option disappeared.

Temporarily setting the AN voltage channel to "Voltage 0-5V" sounds easy enough, I'll give that a go.

Baseline Tune -v1 (post rewire - working copy v2).pclr

10 hours ago, Pete_89t2 said:

My current map is attached, the stepper motor type doesn't show in that menu for me.

I have seen the visibility settings get messed up before if something has been set up in a odd order or something.  Go to aux 8, change its function to "off", then change it back to Rotary oil pump, I think that should unhide the stepper type setting.

9 hours ago, Adamw said:

I have seen the visibility settings get messed up before if something has been set up in a odd order or something.  Go to aux 8, change its function to "off", then change it back to Rotary oil pump, I think that should unhide the stepper type setting.

Looks like I'm still having problems calibrating this thing. The suggestions for changing the AN4 output to a 0-5V Voltage and turning AUX8 off and then back on to Rotary Oil Pump fixed the visibility issue and the ability to read the voltages so I can continue the calibration process, but I'm still unable to complete the calibration. Here's what it's doing:

- Power up, calibration set to OFF - AN4 voltage reads a steady 0.88V. I'm assuming that when initially powered up, the OMP stepper is fully closed or close to fully closed.

- Change calibration setting to CLOSED - AN4 voltage dithers a bit (+/- approx. 0.02V) around 0.88V and quickly stabilizes back to 0.88V. I can hear a faint clicking from the pump when I first entered the CLOSED command, coinciding with the voltage dithering, but this lasted for less than a second and the voltage quickly stabilized. Jotted down the 0.88 value for later use.

- Change calibration setting to OPEN - Again the AN4 voltage dithered a bit (+/- approx. 0.02V) around 0.88V and then stabilizes back to 0.88V. This time I heard significant clicking from the pump, apparently as it ran from fully closed to fully open and then the clicking stopped - this clicking took maybe 2~3 seconds and then went silent. Was expecting the AN4 voltage here to read somewhere around 4V or so.

As far as testing the pump hardware itself, as I mentioned on my 1st post, I tested it by building a test harness so I can electrically connect it to the AEM Infinity ECU in my FC, and test the pump operation using that ECU to drive it. It works fine that way,  as I'm able to drive the pump to anywhere I command on the map between 0 - 100% and it tracks just fine. Don't think it matters for these test purposes, but the AEM Infinity can only drive the pump as a bipolar (4 wire) stepper - unipolar operation is not an option with AEM

As for wiring the OMP to my Link ECU, I followed the wiring color codes in the Link wiring documentation, and checked it over at least 3 times. Wiring for the stepper & position sensor match color codes correctly. My FD is a US market '93; is it possible Mazda was inconsistent with wiring colors relative to the Link help documentation? For example, if the wiring on the position sensor is wrong, it would explain why I'm seeing essentially a steady voltage while the motor is being driven from full open to closed. Any thoughts on what to try next?

UPDATE: Since posting, I borrowed a 2nd FD oil metering pump from a friend to swap in and test. Wired it into my FD exactly the same and basically had the same results as above. The AN4 voltage was slightly different, about 1.0V, but the behavior was the same as described above. At this time I also tested to ensure I had +12V at the OMP red & red/white wires when powered up, and that there was the +5VDC between the blue & black wires of the position sensor. Both checked out good. At this point I think either the wiring documentation is wrong, or maybe my ECU has some kind of issues with at least one of the AUX 5 thru 8 outputs.

If the later is the case, what are my options for getting this ECU repaired?

Edited by Pete_89t2
Added new information

With ignition off, can you unplug the ECU, then measure resistance between the Aux 5/6 pins in the ecu loom plug.  Then do the same for the aux 7/8 pins.  Report those resistances - that will at least confirm both sets are connected to the same pair of coils.

Your pump will have the 8pin plug right?  For the position sensor, in the diagram below, G/B is the signal, BR/W is 5V & BR/B is Gnd.  

Can you tell me what you have connected to the other 6 pins below:

2Tv1pNs.png

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

With ignition off, can you unplug the ECU, then measure resistance between the Aux 5/6 pins in the ecu loom plug.  Then do the same for the aux 7/8 pins.  Report those resistances - that will at least confirm both sets are connected to the same pair of coils.

Your pump will have the 8pin plug right?  For the position sensor, in the diagram below, G/B is the signal, BR/W is 5V & BR/B is Gnd.  

Can you tell me what you have connected to the other 6 pins below:

2Tv1pNs.png

Mystery solved - I have an open circuit on the AUX 7 circuit. I tested resistance between AUX 5/6 and 7/8 pairs as suggested; the 5/6 pair read at 47 ohms, and 7/8 pair read infinite. Subsequent continuity testing of the harness between the Link "A" connector and the OMP connector confirmed an open circuit in the AUX 7 line, all the others had continuity. Upon further inspection and testing, I found the break was at my milspec bulkhead connector. Apparently the pin on the plug for AUX 7 wasn't fully locked/seated inside the connector body, and must have been pushed back into the connector body the last time I mated the plug to the bulkhead receptacle, making poor contact.

Funny thing is I did a 100% end-to-end bench continuity test of every wire in this harness with the milspec connector mated before putting it in the car and it passed with flying colors. Though I probably had about 3~4 connector mating cycles during the process of installing the new harness into the car after doing the test - Murphy's law strikes again!

• 2 years later...

Having the same issue, get a warning that omp has not reached speed and limited rev error/warning

when trying to configure the omp have two conflicting setups one saying to set 5-8 as cl stepper and an volt 2 as stepper position and another setup as setting to rotary oil pumps. either way I dont see any differences in the output for an volt 2 the figure just stays the same when switching between open and closed

pin 8 and 9 / aux 5 and 6 have a resistance of 0.040

pin 21 and 22 / aux 7 and 8 have a resistance of 0.040

on the wiring harness mine is wired as

+5v , unused, aux 6, 12v, aux 5

an volt 2, gnd, aux 8, 12v, aux 7

15 hours ago, Brenmc said:

pin 8 and 9 / aux 5 and 6 have a resistance of 0.040

pin 21 and 22 / aux 7 and 8 have a resistance of 0.040

That would be a dead short, I would expect more like 30-50ohms.  Are you measuring resistance between pin 8 & 9 with the ecu unplugged?