tuning sti

shazad hanif

1000 is used as a base number to make sure the Knock control system does not pull timing out until after you have set it up.  The knock level must exceed the value in the target table before timing is pulled out.  If the target numbers are high enough, chances are that the knock level will never reach them.  The targets must be setup depending on the engine noise level and require the complete table to be setup.  This is best done on a dyno by a tuner with reasonable experience as detonation can be really destructive.  If you are not going to get Knock control setup properly, then it should be turned off as it is completely ineffective with 1000's all through the table.  Also read the PCLink online help about what the Knock Target table does.  Press F1 while the mouse pointer is over the table.

• 1 month later...

In link software of version 8-9 there is a widwow feul injector test and ingition spark test,cyclinder#1 #2 #3 #4 just want to know how is which cycliner is which in link software for Example cyclinder#1 is suppose to be RH,LH,FRONT,BACK? cyclinder#2 is suppose to be RH,LH,FRONT,BACK? cyclinder#3 is suppose to be RH,LH,FRONT,BACK? cyclinder#2 is suppose to be RH,LH,FRONT,BACK? realy wan to know this cuz we had to pull the 2.0 motor out of the car to swap 2.5 motor, started the new motor,pull the plugs out for compression test, compression test came perfect but the plugs RH showed car bieng rich and LH plugs showing lean i want to check fuel routing,injectors,spark first before doing anything else please can you let me know how does the fuel and ingition test works? and which cyclinder is which in wxrlink software ? thanks shaz

The latest firmware has Injector and Ignition Test functions.  The injectors are wired to the ECU in the manufacturers cylinder numbering.  Consult a Subaru manual for how the cylinders are numbered on the engine as I cant remember (even though I drive one!).  The ECU's Injector 1 and Ignition 1 are wired to cylinder 1, 2 to 2, 3 to 3 and 4 to 4.  With the key on, set the injetcor test funtion to on for one cylinder, then go see what injector is clicking.  Remember that a little fuel will enter the engine.  You can do the same for igntiion test, but you will not hear the spark, you will need to use test gear.  There may be other reasons why you have different looking plugs on the engine, so keep an open mind...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply on that issue Can i use iphone instead of keeping laptop in the car all the time,can i just download link software on to that n conect to the supplied usb with link computer tune while im driving and also see digital run time,it will help checking knocks and other parameters of the car http://www.apple.com/iphone/ http://www.apple.com/iphone/questionsandanswers.html it has window xp thank you shaz

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi we have set the knock threshold under boost 30s through out the knock table question is today i was boosting my car getting the knock count of 3 in boost so how does link pull timing?does it even pull time even if we get 1 knock count or does it pull timing after certian knock counts? in the real time value the knock count 3 mean car knocked 3 time or 3 knock counts mean does the previous knock counts add to current knock count to give the knock count of 3 help on this will be great thanks shaz

Knock Count is incremented when the Knock Level goes above the Knock Threshold.  Every time Knock Count is incremented, some timing is pulled out.  The numbers in your threshold table should increases with both RPM and boost.  Engines generate more noise at higher RPM and boost.  To setup Knock Control you must setup your threshold table with all the correct numbers.  To do this you need to test the car at different load and RPM points and determine the general noise level.  Add a bit of margin  onto that and enter it in the threshold table...

• 2 weeks later...

hi knock controll of ej25 usdm with forge internals minee is set to gain chanel=x1 freq chanel=7.0 khz even when i put the ingnition to on position i get knock level of 8-9 when i do 100% throttle pull in third gear n shift in nutral even at throttle closed i i get knock level of 70-80 tried pulling the timing didnt help even in the free rev i get knock level of 40-70 ev pulling timing didnt help should i change freq channel 7.0khz ? my orignal block was ej20 now it ej25 wat shall i do as threshold is confusing me alot when i see knock count increasing shaz

hi i i recently got the dash display as i mentioned on the phone i conected dash display to the ecu it works fine but pclink didnt conect(online) when i tried it to connect both at the same time Therefore i took out the cable of dash display tried to connect pclink it got conected Cant pclink and dash display get conected at the same time? or only one will work at one time? shaz

hi i just recived the knock block with donut type senser 1)where shalli mount the senser on the motor? some say mount on top of the factory knock senser with a longer bolt going through both the senser and some use the spot adjecant to factory knock senser,looking for your advice 2)on the senser their are 2 pin clip left is for ground or right? tc shaz

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...