Idle at 2k, map set at 900

Mark Bryce

I am VERY new to working on ecu and tuning maps. I bought my car from someone who already had the ecu installed. He went and got it professionally tuned and they said his Idle Air control was bad. So the tuner made a map for the bad "IAC" and made another map for when the IAC was replaced. I bought a new IAC through Subaru for $370. that hurt. Installed it and the threw on the new map. The "cat tune good iat" map was idling at about 3.5-4k so i through the "cat tune bad iat" map back on and its running at 2k. better but the idle is set to run at 900...not 2k or 3.5k i hope i can attach the two maps.... P.S. driving a 99 Rs/04 STi SB swap, rc 660 injectors, Gt28 turbo,... Link plus G1, with a ...v4? laptop compatible.

cat-tune-good.iat.pcl

Hi Mark.

The first thing that jumped out at me was the difference in IAC equipment selected.  On the old map you had a solenoid selected, and on the new one you have a stepper selected.  The stepper needs to operate with a special sub-board inside the ECU, and will not operate without it, and inversely the solenoid needs to operate without the board installed. 

Please confirm what the actuall set up is, 4 or 6 wire stepper, or 2 or 3 wire solenoid + special sub board installed or not etc.

Jurgen

Jurgen, I guess i should also add. The reason that the old map and the new map have different IAC setting is because when it is set to solenoid it runs at a lower RPM, but if stepper is selected its runs very high. So i mentioned. I beleive i have a 6 wire stepper. The plug that goes into the actual IAC valve has 6 wires. But i do not know if that makes it a stepper. and also i do not know if i have a sub board installed or not. How would i find out? is it in my ECU box? Thanks, Mark

Hi Kyle.

Yes.  In the ECU "box" there should be 2 sub-boards, which are little PCB boards mounted above the main circuit board.  One is responsible for decoding triggers, and the other responsible for stepper control of the IAC valve.  If you have a genuine 6 wire IAC valve, this will be a stepper requiring the sub-board.

Let me know how you get on.

Jurgen

Jurgen, thanks for the info i will check today and see what i can see. dobsons dyno, I live in Souther Utah. St. George Ut, USA. I have been worried to try anything with the IAC/ISC because i just bought it and it was $370 usd. I have the old one, we played with it for a little and adjusted it so when it idle lower, but when the A/C would get turned on it wouldn't compensate for it and would almost die. so like i said i just spent $370 on it and dont trust my self to pull or push on IAC/ISC. I was wondering if there was something else that was set a little funny, such as the air to fuel ratio? My A/F gauge shows it on Rich. always on Rich. but that could be unrelated, just wondering if there is anything else that looks or could be a little outta wack. Thanks, Mark

dobson i was told on one of the other forums i am a member of that if i have the valve plugged in but out side of the throttle body, it would "kill it." i believe this is was you are talking about. I have assured that there is power making it to through the wire using a Light up test bulb. ALSO i can see differences with the idle when we mess with the setting from stepper to solenoid. or change the cold and hot. So this also tells me that the ecu is sending a signal to it and it is getting it. I will open my ecu tomorrow and see if i have the sub board.

• 2 weeks later...