More channels in ECU logging

Crispin

I'm running a race car with a lots of sensors connected to my G4+ Xtreme. It's a severe limitation only being able to log 25 channels. I want to log everything. If something happens during a race I need to be able to check the datalogs for everything. I cannot know in beforehand what parameters that could be interesting to check afterwards. This is not really up to the standard it needs to be for a race car.

Hi Crispin,

More channels being logged would be great.

The main reason I believe the amount of ECU channels is limited is for one, saving space.

The second is that most competition race cars install a sports dash with on-board logging.

These dashes are expensive but have the ability to log massive amounts of data and include GPS data also.

For now the only other option which I use is a small windows based tablet running the software that way you can log ALL channels at 40 Hz if you wish.

Most decent tablets can be purchased for a couple of hundred dollars.

I will ask Simon if he can add to the list for the engineers, he may also have a better answer than mine.

Regards

Dave.

Hi,

I actually have a remote data logging device designed by Ray Hall way back when ViPEC was first released.

This uses a SD card, for logging massive amounts of data.

Once again we never know what the engineers are up to.

Addition of features and functions are driven by customer demand.

The more requests made the more notice is taken and moves along the must do list.

Obviously a change like this would involve another design change in the ecu, so once again what is now new would be old again.

Regards

Dave.

I have an AIM MXL dash with GPS and lots of car sensors but the CAN communication with the ECU doesn't include everything within the ECU. So I'm stuck with having to log that data in the ECU itself. This is seriously a reason I'm considering switching to Motec for.

I would also like to see proven CAN communication with a power distribution module to complete a race car wiring setup.

Hi Crispin,

if you are considering switching to MoTeC ECU then an SDL3, CDL3 or C series dash would be a cheaper option than swapping ECU's these log everything from the ECU.

I have fitted lots of MoTeC dashes with ViPEC ECU's.

The MoTeC CAN Template for ViPEC /LINK is in the MoTeC dash software as a default template.

Just a suggestion.

Regards

Dave.

Edited by Dave Kriedeman

Hi Dave, 

do you have any spec on the can channels between the Motec dashes and the G4 ECUs?

The interface from the G4 to AIM is limited in channels as described here and I assumed it to be the same with other dashes as well

http://www.aim-sportline.com/download/ecu/racing/LinkG4_CANBase_101_eng.pdf

LINK_DATA_STREAMS_AND_FRAMES_CUSTOM_DATAHi Crispin,

Basically as many as you wish, you need to create the streams and data you wish to send and receive, both in PC LINK and MoTeC Dash Manager.

If  you own a series 1.4 motherboard from memory, you can use digital input 9 and 10 as CAN 2.

So the ecu can have two separate Can channels, MoTeC dashes also have dual CAN channels.

This is far to much info required here it would be a book of information I would have to type.

I have attached some screen shots so you can hopefully get the idea of how you can basically send as much data as you wish from the ECU to the dash and you can also wire up AN VOLT, TEMP and DIGITAL inputs to the DASH also as well as AUX O/P from the dashes.

All of these are able to be data logged also.

These can be setup as sent data back to the ecu on a receive channel on the ECU if you wish to data log these other parameters back to PCLINK.

Regards

Dave.LINK_CAN_2.thumb.gif.c2f08d8efd7eea125f7MoTeC_CAN_1_TRANSMIT_DATA.thumb.gif.9cbeMoTeC_CAN_1_TRANSMIT_DATA.thumb.gif.ba29

MoTeC selecting custom data streams, any parameter you want..gif

Edited by Dave Kriedeman

• 5 months later...