Subaru racecar won't start!

Richard Hainsworth

Hi team

Went for the big start today, i am using the v3/4 base map with the ignition map copied over from the v7 base map as I'm running coil on plug from a legacy gtb.

Engine is just a rebuilt V4 Sti with forged pistons and eagle rods, standard heads and cams. Intake manifold is custom with decapped v5/6 yellow injectors which are around 850cc, standard throttle body. NO IAC valve. Turbo is a garrett GT3071r but is not plumbed in at the moment for first start.

So the problem is it won't start, it pops occasionally through the exhaust and I've played around with fuel master ranging from 4 - 14 the higher i go the closer it seems to starting. it seems like the timing is off but cam timing is perfect and ignition timing seems good from what i can check so far

Any ideas? could the lack of iac be causing it to be very rich? I've checked spark and injectors and they look to working fine, spark seems a bit weak but it is firing occasionally.

Any help appeciated

Richard

Hi Simon

yes am getting rpm signal around 300rpm with running car attached with jumper leads, i am getting a few trigger errors though, what causes this? afaik it has standard subaru v1-6 trigger setup could it be a faulty sensor? ill upload a copy of my map asap its on my windows laptop which is with car which is not where i live, hopefully wednesday =)

any other ideas?

Richard

Could be as simple as needing the arming voltages adjusted. Or it could be a noise issue or cam timing issue.

If its only one or two errors at the first crank but no errors once engine is at stable speed then it not an issue.

From memory the arming voltages are 0.5 v, noise could be a problem i have rewired it fully with a new loom from link so i would hope the sheilding etc is ok. i have checked cam timing and it is perfect. i think the errors were up around 18? so definitely a problem there i think. ill get the tune file copied from the ecu tomorrow and upload it asap!

Really appreciate your support Simon A+++ 

Richard

I would be checking the polarity of the crank and cam sensors are correct. You want a positive voltage as the tooth approaches the sensor and it to fall and go negative as the tooth moves past.

If polarity is incorrect on either sensor you could get errors.

Also try with a lower filter level on trigger2