G4+ Storm Black bad coil drivers-Need Info Asap EVO 8

Jsiebert

Thursday afternoon I got my evo 8 drag car to fire up and run/idle on the new fuel system, probably started it about 10 times, made some changes to the fueling then called it a night. Woke up Friday to get everything else finished on the car to get it ready for an event. Once we were all done, tried to fire it up and it wouldn't fire at all.... tried testing the injectors... all testing fine being able to hear them cycle, coils-nothing. The coils didn't cycle or anything. Timing errors which are usually 1..... were double digits however it registered both crank and cam sensors.

Anyone have any input or experience? I'm worried that the ECU dropped the coil drivers, I tried two different ignition systems and they didn't work. The M&W box didn't register any signal being sent to it. I am absolutely stumped and want to get this fixed before my next event (May 7th) .

Try restoring the ECU back to original and loading the file again. I have seen some strange things happening lately that I would like to bring up in a different topic. Had this issue on a Storm G4+ and it seemed to clear it up. File may have some how been corrupted.

Let me know if this helped.

With the ignition switch on and engine off, if the ignition test will not work then this indicates an ignition output fault. This could be the ECU, the ignitors, the coils, or the wiring. If you post your base-map up (or email to [email protected]) we can have a look at the base-map for any problems. 

When you are cranking the engine do you see Engine speed in PCLink?

• 2 weeks later...

I will update tomorrow on status. The car was seeing RPM, Cam, and Crank signal.... it wasnt syncing and it was showing weird timing errors that were not normal vs the day before when it was running. I am HOPING it was something stupid as we just removed all factory wiring and did a full milspec chassis and engine harness. If I have the same problem I will update with a file and logs of cranking along with a video of the runtime values. 

I will update tomorrow on status. The car was seeing RPM, Cam, and Crank signal.... it wasnt syncing and it was showing weird timing errors that were not normal vs the day before when it was running. I am HOPING it was something stupid as we just removed all factory wiring and did a full milspec chassis and engine harness. If I have the same problem I will update with a file and logs of cranking along with a video of the runtime values. 

Be sure that the cam sensor has not gone bad. Also check the cam timing with a light to see where it's at to verify timing. Check TDC. It is possible it may have moved and I have seen this before. Hopefully it was a wiring error.

Keep us posted.

-Rich

Full milspec harness, continuity checked, still not getting signal to the m&w from ecu. Going to bench fire the ecu today and test it with a oscope. I will know today if the coil driver is dead. I assume it isnt a common deal, maybe just got a bad box.