97 Wrx no spark on crank

chrisrevv

Hi All,

I know there has been some other threads on this topic but I think I have a new one, I dont think its got anything to do with the ECU but hopefully someone has seen it before..

I get no spark on crank but as soon as I let go of the key I get a few sparks from the coil.. the car was running fine last week so I dont know what has happened, I have signal from trigger 1 and 2 and they are reporting ok when cranking as well as engine RPM.. 

I tried a different coil, running an extra ground to the coil, checked fuses but no go .. at a bit of a loss..

Has anyone come across anything like this before ?

Cheers,

Chris

On 1/27/2018 at 4:37 PM, ClintBHP said:

Sounds like you are losing your ignition feed when you move the key to position 3, check for 12volt at the coil when cranking.

Checked that just now, volts went down to 10 or so when cranking, and I did just notice when I have all of the leads out it is actually sparking and jumping across to the leads and it fired the engine just by doing this but when I have them connected to the coil properly I don't even get a pop.. sounds like a coil issue breaking down under load but surely I don't have 2x buggered coils haha

11 hours ago, chrisrevv said:

I did just notice when I have all of the leads out it is actually sparking and jumping across to the leads and it fired the engine just by doing this but when I have them connected to the coil properly I don't even get a pop

It sounds like you might just have fouled spark plugs.  Pulling the leads out increases the gap that the spark must jump so this will give a much higher HT voltage.  This higher voltage spark is then enough to "burn through" whatever deposit is insulating your spark plug electrodes.  Try a clean set of plugs.