Frequency input on digital channel

sportbikeryder

I can configure a digital input as a frequency input, however I cannot seem to find how to use the frequency of the input. All options for a Digital input seem to be only "Status" and choosing this option only allows tables to be configured essentially as on or off. 

My intent is to use a sensor that outputs a frequency that is proportional to the sensor value, basically using the input frequency as an analog. 

Additionally, is there a means to do the same with on time / Time high / Duty of a digital signal? 

I assumed most ECU's would have no issues dealing with these types of signals since the logic is about as basic as it gets, however if the Link G4+ cant accommodate, that will be 2 different ECU's in as many days that don't have these basic functionalities. 

John

If you set the DI to GP Speed with a calibration of 360 it will read in frequency and will be more available to add to controls such as tables and conditions etc (just units will say kmh rather than Hz).

t510fd.png

Thanks Adam, I had looked at the speed option. 

Is there any method that is known to measure duty / time high / time low (anything related to duty) of a digital signal (other than injectors )? 

Reason being, I have tire temperature sensors based on a Melexis infrared thermocouple that output a fixed frequency variable duty signal based on temp (pulse width varies). These arent used for anything that would need an analog, rather just for logging purposes. 

I have used some older ViPec Ecu's and some newer link units on some of our "simpler" applications.  I am currently looking deeper into the newer software to see if it is suitable to use one on our more complex applications. 

John

Edit: I am looking at using Ethanol sensor inputs on an AEM Infinity as Frequency as there is a configurable table. Ethanol sensors are typically set at 50-150 Hz and it doesn't appear to be a configurable item in PC Link. Duty based temperature may be useful if it is in the "right" range.

15 hours ago, sportbikeryder said:

Is there any method that is known to measure duty / time high / time low (anything related to duty) of a digital signal (other than injectors )? 

Reason being, I have tire temperature sensors based on a Melexis infrared thermocouple that output a fixed frequency variable duty signal based on temp (pulse width varies). These arent used for anything that would need an analog, rather just for logging purposes. 

Unfortunately at present there is no way to display/measure/log duty cycle with a general purpose channel.  Ethanol sensors use 1ms pulse width to represent -40°C and 5ms PW = 125°C, so I dont think that is going to work for tire temp.

I think it would really need some sort or external conditioning to convert it into analog voltage to be useable with Link.

• 5 months later...

I'm interested in this topic because I am going to input a flow meter (which has a pulsed output from a hall sensor) and I would like to label the units in GPM. I could convert the frequency produced by the flow meter to a 0-5V analog signal, but will I be able to create a custom unit in the Link software?

• 2 weeks later...

It is not essential, you are right. I am either going to use the value to give a visual alarm on the digital dash that the A2W IC system failed (which wouldn't need a value) and I might use the value to calculate heat dissipation from the IC heat exchangers (I have temp sensors all across the IC system). My end goal here is to optimize the A2W IC system over time...so I want to log the temperatures throughout the system and water flow.

I could use "g/s" as "gallons per second", but that would make it a very small number. lol