Daihatsu K3-VET Trigger Problem and Serial COM Question

theFiztec

Hi there,

i'm having trouble to get my engine start up. When i look into trigger scope, i think it is not as what it should be. Here is the screenshot of the trigger.

Trigger.JPG.449f4dcb9a02bd526bd073bafffb039c.JPG

My engine details and ecu type :

Daithatsu K3-VET

Trigger pattern 36-2 on crank

3 on camshaft

Using Link G4+ Evo 3 Plug in.

Trigger 1 is connected to crankshaft sensor, while trigger 2 is connected to cam sensor. Both are Variable Reluctance type sensor. Below is the diagram of my original ECU.

image.thumb.png.adfa56c33779d11e9223bed270076c94.png

I did my wiring as such that i connected N1+ (Crank Sensor) to pin 69 (Trig 1) on Link, N2+ (Cam Sensor) to pin 68 (Trig 2) on Link and both N1- and N2- to sensor ground on pin 72 on Link. 

Need help on this. Is there any mistake i make on wiring or there is any other problem. I use Toyota 2NZ-FE in trigger setup.

My second question is, can i use RS232 on Link ECU to send data to my Transmission Control Unit since my ECU did use serial comm to comm betweem ECU and TCU using GND, RX & TX. 

image.thumb.png.19646c638c25d41980833331f1f47bff.png

Thanks!

The triggerscope shows no signal at all, just a bit of noise.  Just in case you done it wrong - can you confirm that you clicked the capture button while the engine was cranking?

The K3VET should use the Subaru EJ20 quad AVCS trigger mode.

1 hour ago, theFiztec said:

My second question is, can i use RS232 on Link ECU to send data to my Transmission Control Unit since my ECU did use serial comm to comm betweem ECU and TCU using GND, RX & TX. 

There is no user configurable RS232 in our ECU's (or any other ecu that I know of), only a couple of preconfigured streams designed to be used for older motorsport dash displays.

Yes adam i did click the Capture button. For the sensor i believe the connection is correct right? 

For trigger i will try to use the Subaru EJ20 quad AVCS trigger mode. 

43 minutes ago, Adamw said:

There is no user configurable RS232 in our ECU's (or any other ecu that I know of), only a couple of preconfigured streams designed to be used for older motorsport dash displays.

Noted on this. Thanks adam. 

2 minutes ago, theFiztec said:

For trigger i will try to use the Subaru EJ20 quad AVCS trigger mode. 

Just to double confirm on trigger setup. Below is my trigger wheel pattern.

image.png.6bdcac5e80a16e3b67c23b65258a33fa.png

I believe it is 36  with 2 missing tooth. Isn't it the same with Toyota 2NZ?

Our manual shows 36-2-2-2 but there may be some different models.  Once you get the triggerscope to show something then you will be able to confirm.

You have the pin numbers correct in your notes above, so it should work but the fact the triggerscope is showing nothing means you have something wrong.  

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update. I have managed to installed and start the engine using 2NZ VVTi trigger setup..Here is a snapshot from the trigger scope. 

972759110_TriggerYRVBGV2.jpg.256873cc6de8f132ae19288f1dd18816.jpg

On 5/3/2019 at 5:11 PM, ericsiewkk said:

u need to cut N1- to the stock ecu.

This one really helped me out to get the auto transmission to shift properly as i did a piggyback style installation.

26 minutes ago, theFiztec said:

@Adamw is it normal for the cam waveform to look like that. The first tooth amplitude is shorter than no 2 & 3

Not really but if that scope capture was just cranking or idling then you will probably find they will even out at higher rpm.  You may have to lower the arming threshold a bit in the low rpm cells if it is causing trigger errors.