Which ECU?

928sg

6.5 liter N/A Porsche 928

Previously was running a Motec M48 pro and tuned mostly on my own.  I was running dual MAP and stock sensors for flywheel and cam. was running a stockish intake, but have upgraded to eight 50mm throttle body setup, and some hotter cams & can't really find someone to tune, and it's been about 10 years since I tuned it so I'd be learning again.  If I'm going to be learning again I may as well go with something new, and link ecu's are on my radar.

Current inputs:

• MAP (manifold)
  • MAP (atmosphere)
  • Cam (hall effect) sensor
  • Flywheel Sensor
  • Water temp
  • Air temp
  • Narrow band oxygen sensor

Nice to have:

• Speedometer
  • ABS for traction control
  • Wideband O2
  • Knock Sensors
  • Clutch sensor
  • Ethanol Content Sensor

Current Outputs:

• 8 cylinder injection (sequential) Injector Dynamics ID 725's
  • 2 coils (factory)
  • Tachometer

Nice to have:

• Video output for custom gauges on Nav

Which ecu would fit the bill?

I would like to get the car started and running on my own, and then get the car to a tuner for dyno time to validate and decide which intake horns to use. 

I made my harness for my M48, and I'm intimately familiar with the wiring on the 928 and work in the IT industry so I feel pretty confident I can get it running & get the ITB's synched.  Auto tune would be a huge bonus.

Ok, a few comments to get started;

• All link ECU's have a built-in baro sensor so you dont need the atmosphere sensor.  For ITB's you probably dont need the MAP sensor either.
  • Only the higher-end Link ecu's have traction control capability so if you want that then you will need to look at the Xtreme, Fury or Thunder.  The Xtreme and Fury are pretty similar - the main difference is the Fury has 1 x built-in wideband controller (and only 6 ign drives).  The Thunder is the most powerful ECU with 2 x onboard wideband, lots more IO and various other additional features.  You can see a comparison of the main differences here:  https://www.linkecu.com/products/ecu-comparison-chart/ 
  • The Xtreme and Fury digital inputs can only take a max frequency of ~500Hz so that rules out a lot of high tooth count ABS speed sensors.  The Thunder has 6 high speed inputs that can do 6500Hz so it can take ABS inputs directly.  To make the ABS sensors work with the Xtreme or Fury then you can either use a frequency divider circuit or if you are no longer using ABS then you can grind half the teeth off (12-20teeth is generally a good number for these ECU's).
  • Any can do the speedo output (it will be a 0-12V square wave output) - not all factory speedos will be compatible with that so you will need to research what your speedo needs.
  • None have a video output but you could either use an app called Realdash (if your nav is Android based) or a company called Gaugeart makes a CAN bus video device for displaying ECU data on most LCD devices.
  • All of the other stuff you mention would be covered by any of these ECU's.

Adam,

Thanks.

engine Speed is typical 60-2 and the ABS are 45 teeth which I will be keeping.   I've also thrown in a Corvette 6 speed gearbox so I have 17 pulse per revolution signal processed by a dakota digital SGI-5E converting it to the 8 pulse per revolution the Porsche speedometer is looking for.  I have that taken care of but wanted to used speedometer as an input so it could be logged.

So it looks like Thunder is it.  I may want to go COP for ignition at some point so no sense going with Xtreme or fury.  I know of a guy running an Xtreme on a stroked 928 similar to mine.   Would it save time if I could get a copy of his config/setup and could the data be imported to the Thuder model?

I'm planing on getting screenshots of all of my old settings on my Motec to compare anyway.   looks like my motec is going up for sale.  :)

On 7/30/2019 at 1:08 AM, 928sg said:

I've also thrown in a Corvette 6 speed gearbox so I have 17 pulse per revolution signal processed by a dakota digital SGI-5E converting it to the 8 pulse per revolution the Porsche speedometer is looking for.  I have that taken care of but wanted to used speedometer as an input so it could be logged.

Yes, any of the ECU's will be able to handle that input and it sounds like you could probably also use the ECU to do the job of the SGI5E.  

So it looks like Thunder is it.  I may want to go COP for ignition at some point so no sense going with Xtreme or fury.  

Note the Xtreme will do a V8 in Sequential and Direct spark also.  Just the speed inputs will be your consideration with that.  The Fury with 6 ign drives could still do COP too, they would just be fired in pairs.

I know of a guy running an Xtreme on a stroked 928 similar to mine.   Would it save time if I could get a copy of his config/setup and could the data be imported to the Thuder model?

Yes you can load any G4+ map into any model G4+ ECU.  However, it is a fairly basic engine, no VVT, no E-throttle or anything else too extraordinary, it wont be too strenuous to start from scratch if you cant get his file.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm planning on buying the Thunder ECU.

my updated inputs are:

Cam sensor (SYNC)

Flywheel Sensor (REF)

Water temp

Air temp ?

Wideband O2

Knock Sensors (2)

Speedometer

ABS for traction control

(TPS)