Info on Drive-by-wire functionality with WRX9+

StupidSubaru

New to Link, tuning in general. I currently have a v7 ej207 that I will be getting running again soon, and would like the option for a drive-by-wire throttle body. I’m not sure how I would go about adding it into the existing wiring, etc, or if this is something that could be tied into the CAN lines. Any help on what would be necessary for wiring would be greatly appreciated. If there is info on which throttle body (years, models removed from, etc) would have the best option for support, that too would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. I will have many questions once it gets up and going again. 

First you will want to check the ECU you have is capable of DBW, I think on the WRX7+ ecu DBW functionality was added around PCB version V1.5 (if it is less than 2 years old you should be fine).  You have to open up the case and look on the bottom (larger) PCB for this revision number as per pic below.

f07QTtR.png

As for wiring it the easiest option is to use a Link expansion loom.  The 2nd expansion port has all the connections you need. The throttle motor gets connected directly to Aux 9 & 10.  Then there are 4 spare analog inputs on the same connector - use any 2 for the two TPS sensors and any two for the two pedal position sensors.  You can either use the 5V and sensor gnd on the expansion connector for the new sensors - or you can use the existing 5V and gnd that is already at your cable throttle body TPS for the TPS and use the 5V on the expansion connector just for the pedal.

I believe the V10 pedals bolts straight in but I have no idea what throttle bodies are easy.  As for the ECU compatibility you can use pretty much anything, but if you can find one of the ones that is listed in the help file then you at least have some pretty good PID settings and pinouts etc to start from.  Wiring Information > Output Wiring > E-Throttle > Specific E-Throttle Applications > 

QImDKtJ.png

Thanks for the response on this. I do have a throttle body here I can try to test with, and will look into pedal compatibility. Looks like I will also be looking into the expansion loom. I can get that local, I’m in Detroit area. I will have to sort out relays and such to get power supplied properly. 

Nope. All power feeds for the ethrottle TB come via the ECU.

There are 6 pins to most eTB's: motor+, motor-, 5v ref, ground ref, and 2x tps signals for redundancy. All of those connect to the ECU directly.

The ECU gets this power via the existing power feeds on most of the plug ins, and via an additional 12v input on the standalones, but from the cars perspective, it's just supplying more power to the ECU somehow