G3 Rs232

Whollahii

Hi, 

I’m trying to connect my AIM MXL strada dash to my link G3 ecu using rs communication. I’ll 

I have connected the Dash rx to ecu tx and vice versa. In race studio 2 there are 4 options under link. G3 via vipec, G4, and two CAN options. But I can’t get it to work. 

when the rs cable is connected I’m not able to connect to the ecu with the link software. So something must be happening. 
Does the ground pin on the ecu need to be grounded somewhere together with the dash? 

Any ideas would be appriciated. 

/Sebastian 

22 hours ago, Whollahii said:

Does the ground pin on the ecu need to be grounded somewhere together with the dash? 

Ideally the comms ground in the link comms plug would be connected to the AIM ground - but I suspect even if not connected it would find a path through the chassis anyhow so dont think that is your problem.

This is a bit of a guess as the info is scarce, but reading between the lines I think there may be a baud rate issue.  It looks to me like the G3 had a fixed baud rate of 57600, where as the MXL was fixed at 19200.  A user configurable baud rate was only added to the Link ECU firmware in later G4 versions.  It looks like the "Vipec Adapter" that is mentioned in some documentation (G3 via Vipec) converted the baud rate from 57600 to 19200.

I think you will have to upgrade your G3 to G4 firmware to make it work.  Once upgraded to G4 firmware you can also do a small hardware mod to enable CAN which is nicer to use than serial.  There is a cost of about NZD$200 for the unlock code to install G4 firmware in the G3 but it gives you a much more functional ECU.

10 hours ago, Adamw said:

I think you will have to upgrade your G3 to G4 firmware to make it work.  Once upgraded to G4 firmware you can also do a small hardware mod to enable CAN which is nicer to use than serial.  There is a cost of about NZD$200 for the unlock code to install G4 firmware in the G3 but it gives you a much more functional ECU.

Thank you for the fast and helpful response! I think I'll just update to the G4 firmware. I assume I can do that and nothing will happen to the tune, right? And regarding the hardware mod for CAN, are there any instructions somewhere to be found?

11 hours ago, Whollahii said:

I assume I can do that and nothing will happen to the tune, right?

Yes, converting your G3 map to G4 however is not automated.  You need to open both the G3 and G4 software side by side and copy the settings from one to the other.  All the tables etc can be copy/pasted but it does take about an hour to do it.  I will PM you a bit more detail of the update process and and the CAN mod.