subaru pnp issue

Guest |914|

Guest |914|

Car started out as a bug eye jdm wrx with the ej20, swapped the motor out with an ej25 from an unknown source and heads from another unknown donor.

on inspection the crank pulley is the 36-2-2-2 pattern as i have seen on 05> engines.

this one:

2Kpics022.jpg

camshafts appear to be North american spec ej25 items with the slots milled in the ends for the semsor to read, as opposed to the euro/jdm style cams with teeth.

Now if i set the ecu to trigger to a subaru V7-10(jdm) i get a cranking signal and eratic RPM none of the other trigger presets give anyhthing atall even when watching trigger synch 1&2. i have had this before on subaru swaps and it usualy comes about from cam trigger issues.

is there any way for me to customise the trigger presets to acomodate the North American camshafts? or could i change the crank pulley and use another trigger setting to run these camshafts? as there is no description on teeth count/angle to go with the trigger names i do not know what works with what.

also is it possible to enable the trigger scope on the Plug in ecu's? would be a fantastic help!

cheers,

denis.

Guest |208|

The trigger pattern for the crank looks like v7-10 but this requires 2 teeth 90 deg apart on the cam from memory for the ecu to decode the trigger. If you have 3 evenly spaced teeth on the cam on the back end of the head then the ecu simply cannot decode the pattern. Cosworth sell a bracket which bolts to the front of the engine cylinder head cam cap on the lhs. You mount a cam sensor off the earlier model subarus. The lhs avcs pulley still has the teeth which allow for v7-10 trigger pattern to be used. This get wired to trigger 2. The cam sensors at the back of each cylinder head are used for the vvt and set that to ej20 avcs connected to di 1 and 2.

Guest |914|

ok having another bash at this today, the cams have 3 slots milled at 0, 90, 180,and no slot milled at 270 so 3 slots but not equidistant.

went back to basics, checked vr sensor and its polarity, all ok.

got the LH sensor on DI1 set to hall, pull up, falling and triger 2 is also set the same and set to the LH cam

see no mention on the pinout for a seperate "trigger 2" input so this is wired to DI1

the RH sensor is wired to DI2, hall, pull up, falling.

now when i activate and deactivate the pull up on both inputs i see it working at the sensor end, and see the output switch when the pull up is activated and a ferrous object placed near the sensor. so they work but in the run time values DI1 and 2 never change. am i missing something obvious here? this a trait of the plugin ecus?

furthermore and probably related, when a ferrous object is placed near the VR sensor "trigg 1 signal" becomes yes, but i cannot for the life of me make "trigg 2" say yes, does trig1 need to be synced before this works? Am i using the wrong input?

thats the cam issues.

crank issues, i can only get any kind of rpm sync (and its erratic) when set to subaru V7-10jdm understandable as its the correct crank wheel, but obviously meens i cant sync the cams, will inspect the back of the pullys for markings to suit (great tip chers!!)

also there is no mention in the pinout in the help file for the crank trigger for me to cofirm this is 100% correct.

Guest |914|

should add, sorry if the post comes across a bit rant-ish, i know i could have this running fine and diagnose issues fine on a regular standalone ecu, but without a full pinout, accuate real time values, and the ability to customise trigger patterns im struggling, but can only work with what i am given and the fellow wants this engine running on this ecu :lol: even though he should have got a v44/ v88 for this job ;)

as an aside what cam and crank triggers are needed to get the "subaru ej25 avcs" trigger preset working. only ask as changing the crank pully is easier and cheaper than the cams :lol:

Guest |914|

cheers@insight .. the pulley does indeed have the teeth, and fabricating a bracket isnt an issue, but there is no pin labled as triger2 in the pinout as this is a PnP ecu not your regular v44. joy!Appreciate the input btw!

with some backprobing pin B1 is Trig2 Pin B2 is Trig1 just need to fab up a bracket now lol getting there.

Guest |914|

sensor mounted on a bracket behind the pulley, wired to trigger2, now have consistant RPM on cranking and consistant predictable spark, hopefully fire her up tomorrow, cant thank you enough for the tip! just hope i can get the avcs working now haha