Possible bug on Thunder CAN2 initialization

KarlB

I've recently encountered some odd behavior while running a Thunder on the bench.

When setting one of the six available CAN streams for CAN2 to transmit a user stream at 1Hz, the ECU basically vomits those frames at at insane rate and immediately fills the buffer of my PCAN dongle.

If I turn off that stream and turn it back on at 1Hz, the problem persists. The behavior seems unchanged if I alter which user stream to transmit or which ID setting I have for that stream.

If I set the transmit rate to some value other than 1Hz, the problem resolves itself. At this point I can set the stream back to 1Hz and it behaves as expected.

The problem does not re-appear across firmware reflashes.

So it seems that the very first time you initialize a stream, if you have it set to 1Hz, it will flood the bus with packets. 

I'm using PCLink version 5.6.7.3632. Below is my firmware information:

ECU firmware version     : 5.6.7.3631

Bootcode Version            : 1.9

Board S/N                     : 40499

ECU type                      : 39

The config I have attached has had Streams 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 for CAN2 set to rates other than 1Hz, so they seem to operate fine. Stream 6 has not been touched.

Thunder CAN2 Issue.pclr

Does it only do it if you turn on a transmit stream that has no frames/parameters set up already on the streams tab, or does it happen regardless?

I kind of got something like you explain but only if I enable a "empty" stream.

19 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Does it only do it if you turn on a transmit stream that has no frames/parameters set up already on the streams tab, or does it happen regardless?

I kind of got something like you explain but only if I enable a "empty" stream.

I did not test it with an empty stream. I did all my tests with user streams that had frames assigned.