6 injectors with 3 or 2 drivers

Guest |918|

Guest |918|

What is the best way to setup 6 injectors using 3 or 2 injectordrives? I have a V6 engine and Vipec 44. Should i connect 3 injectors to inj1 and 3 injectors to inj2. Or connect 2 injectors to inj1, 2injectors to inj2 and 2 injectors to inj3 ?? Are the any benefit using the 2nd setup ? And are there any specific way i should connect the injectors?

For example 1 an6 injectors to inj1 etc.. or injectors 1,2,3 to inj1 and 4,5,6 to inj2 ? I know sequential would be best but cant do that with my ecu, maybe somekinda semi sequential ? Hmmm :lol:

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

You need to use 3 injector outputs.

Set up as multi point group.

Example,

If you have a V6 Commodore the firing order is 1, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2.

Then use the following :

1 & 4 = injector output 1

6 & 3 = injector output 2

5 & 2 = injector output 3

In group mode the injectors fire odd drives then even drives, so using 3 injector outputs as Dave describes will fire 4 injectors (1,4,5,2) then 2 injectors (6,3). This will give you different pressure drops in the fuel rail per injection event.

It would be more correct to wire 3 injectors per drive. This could either be done as per firing order 1st,3rd,5th (1,5,3 as per V6 commodore) and 2nd, 4th, 6th (6,4,2) or 1 drive per bank on a V6 (which will be the same in this case).

All thought the effect of the pressure drop difference will be negligible in most cases, this way also frees up an extra drive for other uses.

One case where this wouldn't be advisable would be when using low impedance injectors. In this case you could run 2 injectors each on drives 1 and 2 @ 4A peak 1A hold, and 1 injector each on drives 3 and 4 @ 2A peak 0.5A.

But really you should be running high impedance injectors, or use a V88, luckily with the matching 'A' connector an upgrade is quite easy from V44 to V88.

Hope that helps

Guest Dave-Kriedeman

I have done 2 V6 Commodres with V44's.

Both with High Impedence injectors setup as Multi Point Group fire, as i described above.

1 of the cars was a 3.8 with a GT28R and the other was a 3.8 stroked to 4.3 and T Trim Vortech supercharger,

both engines ran sweet without issues,made excellent power and drive very nicely.

Guest |918|

Ok, using 2 injector drives seems more reasonable...Since the pressure can variate if using 3 drives... My firing order is 1-6-5-4-3-2, so i should connect 1-5-3 to inj1 and 6-4-2 to inj2 ????

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
You need to use 3 injector outputs.

Set up as multi point group.

Example,

Then use the following :

Damn! Vipec help menu says the following about multi point group:

"In this mode the injectors are fired in two out-of-phase groups with each group firing once for every 360 or 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation"

So I have only ever wired up V44s to 6cyl engines with two inj drivers (3 inj / driver). Vi-pec guys please update your literature if more than two groups are possible. If so, does that mean - using the V6 Commodore example from above - that each group will fire 240deg apart?

Damn! Vipec help menu says the following about multi point group:

"In this mode the injectors are fired in two out-of-phase groups with each group firing once for every 360 or 720 degrees of crankshaft rotation"

That is correct the drives are grouped to fire 1&3 and 2&4 when in multi point group mode.

So if wired as per the

Then use the following :

Then injectors 1,4,5,2 will all fire at the same time

• 2 years later...

Sorry to drag up an old post.. I have a v6 here which has the injectors wired the way Dave has explained. The car starts and runs, but it lean on cylinders 2 and 5. It is bad to the point it has hurt the engine. When we do an injector pulse test, they fire no worries. We have tried swapping injectors around in the rail, but the problem is still there. It seems like a failed injector driver? We have also tried moving cyls 2 and 5 to injector driver 4 instead of 3 but there is still issues. Can anybody help? I would swear black and blue that the injector driver has failed but it still tests ok? We have richened the tune up to the point of blowing smoke and those 2 cyls are still lean..

Hi,

what injectors are you using, low or high impedence.

What model or serial number is your ECU, open your PCL file on your laptop,

Go to the HELP tab, click on ECU Information, it will give you the current firmware version you are using and ECU serial number etc.

Have you had the injectors physically flow tested and checked for spray patterns, flow rates etc.

Is the engine N/A or Boosted.

In what way has the engine been damaged, more detail please, melted piston, failed ring land etc.

If you have moved injectors 5 and 2 to injector output 4 how have you set this up in the software to work.

I need more information, is this a brand new setup etc.

Regards

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

The injectors are 'supercharged v6' ones. 36lb high impedance.

ECU serial number is 7782. I will have to get back to you on the firmware version.

Injectors were all checked and cleaned. Came back all good.

Engine is supercharged and unsure on damage yet as it hasn't been pulled apart.

Injectors have been switched between cylinders with no change.

Setup has been on another vehicle but was pulled off soon after as the engine blew a head gasket and got ditched for a new setup. (thinking now it was possibly related).

I will try and get a copy of the tune file for you. Ignition timing was set properly.

The triggering is setup all off the balancer. Trigger 1 was the 18x input and trigger 2 was from the 3x signal (The trigger wheel was modified so that the 3x signal became a 1x signal).

Injectors were wired as explained previously and ignition outputs were paired the same using the factory coils, but with a 'dumb' igniter instead of the dfi module.

Could this cause an issue? I know the the sync signal should be off cam speed, but with wasted spark and multipoint injection, it shouldn't matter should it?