Link G4X WRX9 + Aim MXP Strada no CAN Connection

ben_der

Hello from Germany,

I was running the Factory ECU up until now and had the AIM MXP Strada read some ECU Data via OBD. The 14 Pin Loom for the MXP Strada is the one with the OBD Connector.

Checking the Pinout of the 14 Pin regular Loom AIM States that PIN 8 is CAN1+, PIN 9 is CAN1- and PIN 4 is GND.

Desoldering the OBD2 Plug, I checked the Pinout with my Multimeter. PIN 8 is a White wire for CAN1+ and PIN 9 is a Blue wire for CAN1-.
I got the 101-0019 CAN Cable for Custom displays loom together with the G4X.

Connected the wires as follows:
AIM PIN8 White Wire to the CAN Cable White wire for CAN + / CAN High
AIM PIN9 Blue Wire to the CAN Cable Green wire for CAN-/ CAN LOW
AIM PIN4 Black Wire to the CAN Cable Brown wire for Ground

I tried both G4X Can 1 and Can 2 but cannot get the AIM MXP to read the ECU Stream.

CAN Setup as per Screenshot. Also tried the Generic Display Mode as per Help regarding the AIM MXL Pista, no joy.

ECU is on the latest firmware and the AIM MXP is up to date afaik.

Please find the Basemap and the MXP config attached.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mnEKu2L.jpg

Cheers
Ben

Anmerkung 2020-06-23 224539.png

MXP Strada STI 2005 EJ207 Link G4X ECU.zconfig Ben2005Sti_G4X.pclx

42 minutes ago, ben_der said:

I got the 101-0019 CAN Cable for Custom displays loom together with the G4X.

How is this cable connected to the ECU?  Do you have the CANPCB cable plugged into one of the ECU CAN ports as well? Or have you plugged it into the tuning port?

Note you dont need the ground wire for CAN, but I dont think it will prevent anything from working.  

2 minutes ago, Adamw said:

How is this cable connected to the ECU?  Do you have the CANPCB cable plugged into one of the ECU CAN ports as well? Or have you plugged it into the tuning port?

Note you dont need the ground wire for CAN, but I dont think it will prevent anything from working.  

Hey Adam, sorry forgot to mention that I do have the CANPCB Cable as well.
Can Cable for Custom Displays plugs into the CANPCB Cable which is connected to Can2 right now. Had it plugged into Can1 as well on the G4x but same story.

Ok, as far as the software setup goes you have both ends correct.  But there are transmit errors reported in the ECU runtimes which usually means a bus problem (wiring) .  

I would snip the ground wire just in case that has an effect (it is only needed for old RS232 comms).  

The next thing I would try is unplug the CAN wiring at the both ends (white 5 pin plug at ecu and 37pin at dash).  Check you have continuity from the centre pin (white wire) of the white rectangular plug all the way to pin 8 of the AIM 37 pin connector.  Then check Link pin 2 (green wire) has continuity to AIM pin 9.  I know you already mentioned these connections are pinned correctly, but we want to test the whole cable assembly from end to end. 

Another test you can do is with everything plugged back in, you can measure resistance between CANH/L and you should have about 60ohms if both ends are connected correctly.

Adam, I got it figured out and I apologize for taking your time as I could have figured it out on my own right from the start.

For whatever reason I did not measure continuity to the CANPCB Plug from the 14 Pin AIM Plug but from where I connected the two wiring looms (Aim loom to CAN Cable for Custom displays).
Issue is, on the OBD AIM Loom, the Blue wire is NOT Pin 9.
Pin 9 is a Black Wire instead and the Blue wire is PIN 14 which should be yellow.

Redid the connection to the CAN Cable, plugged it in and it worked right on!

Thank you for your time and pointing me in the right direction.
It'll be checking continuity from Pin to end from now on. Stupid me.:wacko: