Haltech IC-7 Can Bus setup

ozyvr4

Hi there, I have just got an Haltech IC-7 and am try to set up the Can network. I already had a Link Can Lambda wired to the system, so close to ECU I wired into the CAN Low/High in parallel for the dash signal

The Can lambda was setup on CAN 1      ( channel 2 ). Im try to set the IC-7 on CAN 1 ( channel 1 ) Generic dash stream ID1000. I apply settings and then go the devices but it only finda the Lambda. 

I have set IC-7 onto the Link G4 protocol. 

Any ideas would be great.  

The find devices option is only for Link CAN Lambdas, it wont show any other devices.  If the Link and the Haltech are configured correctly then you will see the data on the dash.  If its not working, then have a look at runtime values in the Link software (F12) , and see if you have any CAN errors.  I presume you have correctly terminated the bus (either IC 7 at end of bus with termination on and CAN Lambda termination disabled, or IC7 in the middle of the bus without termination and CAN Lambda terminated)

HTH,

Richard.

I wired the Haltech Can wires in parallel to the lambda. Close ro ecu where.I pined the lambda I connected another plug for the IC-7. The IC-7 has an internal resistor that is activated when in Link G4+ protocol. Ill check to make sure I have continuity on the cables. Also make sure the dtm pins are located properly.  Thanks for the reply. 

As a seperate question. Does the link G4+ stream Ethanol content or will it be something that will be added to the can protocol.  I was keen to have this displayed as I run flex. 

17 hours ago, Richard Hill said:

If its not working, then have a look at runtime values in the Link software (F12) , and see if you have any CAN errors.

So doe no data show on the dash?  Do you get errors in the CAN runtimes?  

3 hours ago, ozyvr4 said:

Does the link G4+ stream Ethanol content or will it be something that will be added to the can protocol.  I was keen to have this displayed as I run flex. 

It is not in the default generic dash stream, you can add it easily on the link end but I dont think you can customise anything on the haltech end.  What do you want to actually display on the dash - we might be able to work around it by duplicating the Haltech stream. Get it working with the Link stream first though.

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

So doe no data show on the dash?  Do you get errors in the CAN runtimes?  

It is not in the default generic dash stream, you can add it easily on the link end but I dont think you can customise anything on the haltech end.  What do you want to actually display on the dash - we might be able to work around it by duplicating the Haltech stream. Get it working with the Link stream first though.

Awesome. The car is stationary for the moment as I upgrading catch can lines and have to replace the 02 sensor for the Can lambda.  

I main thing I want to add is ethanol content as I run pump gas every couple months to clean fuel system. As I plan to remove the stock cluster I also want fuel level through an ANV input of ecu and streamed to dash. I will also need to modify the speed signal as VR4 use a reed switch in the dash cluster to generate the VSS signal. I plan on replacing the cable drive with a CE Lancer electric drive. 

11 hours ago, ozyvr4 said:

I main thing I want to add is ethanol content

What I want is a list of what you really need on the dash - the bare minimum you need - as with trying to duplicate the haltech stream there will be limitations to the number of channels you will  get so there may be comprimises.

Obviously, RPM, ECT, Speed - what else.

12 hours ago, Adamw said:

What I want is a list of what you really need on the dash - the bare minimum you need - as with trying to duplicate the haltech stream there will be limitations to the number of channels you will  get so there may be comprimises.

Obviously, RPM, ECT, Speed - what else.

RPM , Speed , ECT , IAT , Fuel pressure , Oil pressure , Lambda , Volts , Ethanol content , Fuel temp , Boost and Fuel level would be great. 

9 hours ago, ozyvr4 said:

I tried adding more parameters to the frames in the stream 1.

You cant go adding more parameters, the Haltech dash CAN is not configurable at all.  It is programmed to receive a fixed set of data only.

Does your dash have the latest firmware and it is set to Link G4+ mode?

I only added some as when I went to Stream 1 - frame 1, it only had ECT and oil pressure. 

Would it be better for me to send you a log? 

I updated ECU software and updated to latest Haltech software I could find. 

6 hours ago, Adamw said:

Try doing my test that is explained here:  

I found the protocol settings in the Haltech Help file

1. Mode: User Defined
      Bit Rate: 1 Mbit/s
      OBD: Off
      Channel X (any available): Transmit DisplayLink
      Transmit Rate: 50hz
      CAN ID: 1400
      Format: Normal

1.  I would still like to get fuel level and enthanol content available 

7 hours ago, ozyvr4 said:

I found the protocol settings in the Haltech Help file

1. Mode: User Defined
      Bit Rate: 1 Mbit/s
      OBD: Off
      Channel X (any available): Transmit DisplayLink
      Transmit Rate: 50hz
      CAN ID: 1400
      Format: Normal

Ok, so do the basics work now with your ID changed to 1400?

On 7/15/2020 at 9:06 PM, ozyvr4 said:

RPM , Speed , ECT , IAT , Fuel pressure , Oil pressure , Lambda , Volts , Ethanol content , Fuel temp , Boost and Fuel level would be great. 

Ok, you're not going to be able to get all of these.  The G4+ lets you have a maximum of 6 user configurable CAN ID's, this list will require 8 if we try to duplicate the Haltech stream + your CAN lambda needs 1.  Here's the Haltech ID's for the channels you wanted:

ID 864; RPM, MAP

ID 865; Fuel press, Oil Press.

ID 872; Lambda

ID 867; Wheel Speed

ID 882; Batt Voltage

ID 992; IAT, ECT, Oil temp, Fuel Temp

ID 993; Ethanol

ID 994; Fuel Level

Batt voltage you probably dont need as there is an internal dash voltage channel anyway.  I believe the dash will eventually be updated to enable a direct fuel level input so you can probably get away without that.  But that still really leaves you needing 6 ID's but you only have 5 spare.

Thanks alot. For the moment I can just plug in my tablet for ethanol content and get a external fuel level guage until they do the upgrade..Fuel level will eventually be a necessity as Ill be removing the stock cluster.