EJ20 Thunder Wiring in

Anthony Parle

The cam rotates at half crank speed, the cam teeth will only show up every second crank rev.  Do you have 2 or 3 teeth on your cams?  This almost looks like youve got the V7 trigger pattern, but with the hall sensors on the cam from the EJ25 or quad VVT engine?

UCdnwNw.png

10 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Either that sensor is failing or you have a bad connection.  I suspect more likely the sensor since it seems most erratic after an edge is detected.  Try swapping with the sensor on the other side.  

Hi Adam,

I got that problem sorted it was a problem with the 12 v supply, which leads to a question, I am using solid state relays on 4 function because I use this engine for R&D into exhaust pipe using pressure transducers plotting pressure waves etc.  I have the 4 relays connected to DI 11 - 14.  I turn them on by pulling to ground.  They are for Cam sensor 12 v, Coils 12 v, Injectors 12 V & 12V for the DBW.  Would there be any issue doing it that way.

Also here is a further trace after sorting supply, I can't seem to get a longer one am I doing something wrong?  Will see if the car now starts in a hour or so.

1795188764_TriggerissuesonDOHCDay2ver2.jpg.9bdab6822c1de9d53fa80ca718bbd443.jpg

11 hours ago, Anthony Parle said:

I got that problem sorted it was a problem with the 12 v supply, which leads to a question, I am using solid state relays on 4 function because I use this engine for R&D into exhaust pipe using pressure transducers plotting pressure waves etc.  I have the 4 relays connected to DI 11 - 14.  I turn them on by pulling to ground.  They are for Cam sensor 12 v, Coils 12 v, Injectors 12 V & 12V for the DBW.  Would there be any issue doing it that way.

What are the relays connected to DI'2s for?  So you can monitor if they are on or off?

8 hours ago, Anthony Parle said:

When you guys say the Trigger 1 is fitted to left band, I assume the left bank is the one on the passenger side

Well that would depend if the car is LHD or RHD.  But our LH/RH terminology would refer to the drivers perspective.

Its odd that you only have 2 teeth on the cam, usually the AVCS engines have 3 or 4.  Im not sure if we have a trigger mode that will work with this engine.  I think the V7-10 mode will get it to run with trig 2 to hall, but Im not sure if it will be happy when VVT starts to work.

59 minutes ago, Adamw said:

Can you please try the V7-10 trigger mode like I said earlier.  The EJ20 quad mode wont work because it expects 3 teeth on trigger 2.

Hi Adam,

Sorry I misunderstood you, 

okay so I just gave it a try and the engine is now firing, I think I may need to get rid of the excess fuel from the past attempts and it should be good to go.

I also did some checks I have a number of EJ20 NA engine with AVCS only on the intake, all have 2 slots on the intake cam.  I also have a number of turbo EJ25 and they have 3 slots on the intake cam.  i will discuss with Josh tomorrow at Kelfords as we have some R&D cams beng made.

Thanks Adam, your service and support is the reason I buy so many Link ECU and tell everyone that you guy are the best.