Radiator fan, only one turning on.

Grempa

Hello all,

2006 Subaru STi with a WRX104 PnP ECU here

Issue is the A/C fan will come on and work with no issues, even with "test".  The engine fan does not come on at all, even trying with "test". 

I have check all connections from the ECU all the way to the relay, here is what I found.  From ECU Pinout B24,  when I enable test in Link the voltage will drop from 12v(Batt Volt) to 0 and trigger the relay to kick on the fan for Engine Fan 3 (Aux Ign 5), good.  But for ECU Pinout B25 (Engine Fan 1, Aux Ign 7)  its stays at 12v(Batt Volt) when I enable test mode, and fan or relay are not triggering.

To test,  I re-installed the OEM ECU and both fans work just fine.  Not sure is this is Link ECU issue or maybe the wiring is different for some reason on my car.

I have attached all the pertaining photos and my calibration file.

LinkECU-EngineFan.png

LinkECU-Manual.png

Subaru-Wiring.png

2006-Subaru-STiWRX104.pclx

The pinout matches and your set up looks correct.

You should see ground on B25 when you set ign 7 to test on, assuming active state is set to low.  

If you ground pin B25 with a paper clip poked in the back of the plug or similar does the fan come on?

Tried swapping the fans and AUX around as Adam suggested, but still no luck.

Anthony, this is a plug n play ECU its pre configured in a sense.  But yes, both fans are set to low, as seen in the pics above

EDIT:

So this is more odd.  I cut wire B25 and spliced it into B24.  Both fans come on now, we figured that, don't know if it can stay this way? BUT the odd thing is PC link is so much fast now.  ECU would reconnect 2 or 3 times when first turning on key, plus opening and closing windows and tables was slow like 5 seconds to open.  Now even thing is super fast, now that B25 is not connected to anything.  Maybe there is an issue with this PCB or something?

Edited by Grempa
More details

B25 not working does sound like possible a hardware issue.  They are all extensively tested before leaving HQ though so it was at least working when it left NZ.  You can send it back for inspection if you like.

I cant see how it would be related to your connection or speed issue but give us an update after a few days.  

Alright I'll give the US tech support a call on Monday and see what they say.  I just went though and double checked all my wiring and all the setting sin link ecu.  I even checked a few other users calibration files on they match mine for my ecu model.

Here a quick you tube video to give some visual of what I mean.

https://youtu.be/qY7Fn-UtREQ