Link ECU/PCLink CANBUS abilities

stammykins

I'm fairly set on getting a link g4x xtremex for my harley project. There's a few things that will sway me one way or the other. One of those items is a built in canbus logger, does PCLink have that capability? I plan on integrating into the stock canbus system vs setting up a completely new one. Tach/Speedo, indicator lights, fuel gauge, etc all are run from the existing canbus system onboard. I have a stock ECU that I would like to monitor as I put the system into various states to read the messages to emulate them. I presume the majority of the system is the BCM reading messages from the ECU for engine parameters and the BCM sending messages to the gauges/indicators and the ECU.

You can log CAN bus messages but you will first need to reverse engineer all of those messages to understand where each one comes from, what it contains, and how it is converted back into a useful variable.  This is normally done with a standalone CAN sniffer and various reverse engineering software tools.  

Whether the G4X is capable of duplicating those messages to make the dash work etc will depend on how complex the factory have decided to make the messages.  For instance many modern cars will have some sort of calculated checksum that requires mathematics added on the the end of the CAN message based on its content, there are sometime odd "heart beat" type counters that arent easy to generate with the generic CAN tools that the ECU has.  

You wont know if this is possible until you have done some sniffing and reverse engineering.