Dodge Viper Gen2 on Link G4+ ...anyone else running this on a viper?

Dunebuggyjay

Hi Guys,

I recently bought a supercharged 1996 Viper GTS. Has a 10 psi pulley.  Previous owner installed a Link Extreme. After Ive spent some time with the Link Software, and this car, there are MANY questionable things on the tune.  The car runs, but not like I think it should. I've been trying to dial in the tune the best I can on the street. 

Would there be a huge diff changing this over to Modelled, from the traditional it is currently tuned in? Id def have to do some more reasearch on whats involved in switching over to modelled if its worth it.  I'm not sure of what fuel injectors i have on here to try and research specs on them. 

So now i am second guessing everything that was done. 

Does anyone have a Gen 2 Viper running on Link? Id really like to see you ignition setup data, and timing map.

I have a trigger offset of 5 and not sure if this is correct.

My Timing map is pretty horrible. I think because it used to have a VEC running the meth injection via PWM, and when they swapped over to the Link, they never connected up the meth, and just retarded the timing a ton. ?!?

Attached is the map i took off the car when i first got it. I've mostly just turned off all dual tables on recent revisions, and tweaking the fueling a bit. But this is the only map i currently have on my pc here at work. 

Thanks for the help!

Jay

viper-map+tps+cal.pclr

20 hours ago, Dunebuggyjay said:

Would there be a huge diff changing this over to Modelled, from the traditional it is currently tuned in? Id def have to do some more reasearch on whats involved in switching over to modelled if its worth it.  I'm not sure of what fuel injectors i have on here to try and research specs on them. 

No I wouldnt bother, you can get a good tune with traditional with less work.

The injector short pulse width adder looks very odd, with numbers quite a bit larger than I would typically see.  I would probably zero that out unless it was known good info (this will mess with the fuel tune though).

The rest of the tune doesnt look bad and shouldnt need much work to get it dialed in, as you say the ignition table 1 looks very lethargic but I dont know these engines well.  

20 hours ago, Dunebuggyjay said:

I have a trigger offset of 5 and not sure if this is correct.

You need to check that with a timing light.

Thanks for the reply. I dont know where those numbers came from for injector pulse width. Not sure if whom ever tuned it knew.  Ill try and see if i can find specs on fuel injectors that are installed on the car. 

On the timing, what is the best way to find tdc. There does not seem to be any timing marks, so i need to make one. Would turning the engine over by hand and marking when im at tdc (with something in the spark plug hole) be close enough to get a good timing mark to reference? Or is there a better, more accurate way?

5 hours ago, Dunebuggyjay said:

On the timing, what is the best way to find tdc. There does not seem to be any timing marks, so i need to make one. Would turning the engine over by hand and marking when im at tdc (with something in the spark plug hole) be close enough to get a good timing mark to reference? Or is there a better, more accurate way?

Yes, you can do a rough check buy rocking it back and forth while feeling with a piece of welding wire or similar down a plug hole, or a more accurate method is the positive stop method (need a special piston stop tool to screw in the plug hole).  You will probably find a guide on the piston stop method on you tube or similar.