Camshaft Position Inputs on G4+ Thunder

Jarrett

Howdy everyone! I'm very much so a beginner at building my own harness, and my application seems like one of the last ones you'd want to have be your first, but I'm diving in anyway. I have purchased and watched all three levels of HP Academy's wiring instructional courses, as well as begun purchasing over $1000 in tooling, and stocked up on DR-25, Tefzel, contacts and other loom materials. So despite beginner status, I'm prepared to start working on getting my mistakes out of the way.

My application is a 3.7L VQ35HR which is an engine that seems to show up on these pages once a year or so, according to the search function. My question is much more elementary than some of the others, and more philosophical. The engine comes stock with a single crank sensor on the back of the block, but a camshaft sensor for each of the four camshafts. In an application with a timing chain, I can understand how the rotational relationship between all four camshafts can be determined based on the reading from a single sensor, but the OEM went through all the trouble of incorporating four. On the Thunder pinout and I/O table, there are only provisions for a single sensor besides the crankshaft sensor.

I know it sounds like a silly thing to be concerned with, but am I able to run them all by sending the other three to other non-specific inputs? My logic here would be some hypothetical improvement in resolution, or something. The additional cost would 10m of 3-wire shielded tefzel, a few contacts for the all of the connectors, and that's really it.

Thanks for any feedback. My research for other topics on here and at HP Academy's forum page has shown me that the Link customer service reps are second to none when it comes to supporting those who have questions/issues.

If I remember correctly the VQ35HR has 4 variable camshafts so if you want VVT to work you will need all 4 camshaft position sensors connected.

The G4+ uses both Intake cams for a quick sync strategy so as the absolute bare minimum you need both intake cams connected (it can sync engine position within 120deg crank rotation during start up).

Crank sensor to trigger 1.

LH intake cam to trigger 2.

RH intake cam needs to be connected to DI1.  DI1 function needs to be set to VVT cam position, cam type "Inlet RH.

Exhaust cams can be connected to DI2,3 or 4.  Assign VVT cam position and the cam type to match your wiring. 

Thanks for the reply! That's awesome news, as I would have vastly preferred for all sensors to have connectors and all connectors to be populated, anyway.

And that both clears up a problem I didn't yet know I had, while developing a new one. In my I/O table I had the four devices on the front of the timing cover for controlling VTC (Nissan's version of VVT) set to those pinouts. With your assignments displacing those, it seems those should have gone to Auxiliary Outputs 1-4.