Mazda MX-5 Engine - No spark, no injectors firing, no crankshaft sensor reading

Icedmunkie

You originally said it had a 36-2 trigger wheel, but your map is still set to MX5 which only has 2 teeth on the crank.  

So your trigger setup should be something like below.  If it still has the 3 teeth on the cam and you want to run direct spark then you will need to grind off two teeth (so it only has a single tooth left on cam).  Or you can wire coils in wasted spark configuration and set sync mode to none, then you wont use the cam sensor.

J3bhxox.png

13 minutes ago, Adamw said:

You originally said it had a 36-2 trigger wheel, but your map is still set to MX5 which only has 2 teeth on the crank.  

So your trigger setup should be something like below.  If it still has the 3 teeth on the cam and you want to run direct spark then you will need to grind off two teeth (so it only has a single tooth left on cam).  Or you can wire coils in wasted spark configuration and set sync mode to none, then you wont use the cam sensor.

J3bhxox.png

Brilliant, I kept it as MX5 due to being previously told to leave it, but will change. 
As I am running coil on plug due to limited space, I think I will need to grind the cam down to one tooth but will look at running it with a wasted spark system. 
I will have a play and see what works best, out of the options given. 

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

J3bhxox.png

Thinking about this further, If I returned the crank wheel from 36-2 to the stock wheel, I could run a stock MX5 basemap which would be simpler? We replaced the stock though as whilst we were getting a good scope pattern we were not getting fuel or spark but when requested to fire as a test both would work. I am guessing this could be down to the fact that prior to going COP, the MX5 ran a wasted spark system.

I know/think that elimination of the cam sensor would mean having to change the injection mode away from sequential to multipoint group (I think that would be the appropriate setting) but by grinding the two teeth of the cam wheel will this have any effect or can I still run the injection mode as sequential?

11 hours ago, Icedmunkie said:

Thinking about this further, If I returned the crank wheel from 36-2 to the stock wheel, I could run a stock MX5 basemap which would be simpler? We replaced the stock though as whilst we were getting a good scope pattern we were not getting fuel or spark but when requested to fire as a test both would work. I am guessing this could be down to the fact that prior to going COP, the MX5 ran a wasted spark system.

The base map is for a NA engine.  If your stock trigger is from an NB then you would need to use the NB trigger mode.  

11 hours ago, Icedmunkie said:

I know/think that elimination of the cam sensor would mean having to change the injection mode away from sequential to multipoint group (I think that would be the appropriate setting) but by grinding the two teeth of the cam wheel will this have any effect or can I still run the injection mode as sequential?

If you run no cam trigger then you will have to use wasted spark ignition and multipoint group injection.  If you remove two teeth for the cam then you can run direct spark and sequential injection.