Link thunder CAN output to Cosworth Omega D4 Dash

TroyTempest

Hi All,

I have a G4+ Thunder that I'm trying to get to talk to a Cosworth Electronics Omega D4 Pro LCD.

I have the ECU and dash connected on CAN 2, with no other nodes on the network, and the D4 is set to terminate on its CAN 1 input.

I was supplied a generic dash 2 library by someone a while back (potentially from Cosworth) but when I select the same library in both PCLink and Pi Toolset the stream addresses/start points are clearly very different.

I don't want huge amounts of data on the dash, namely RPM, Oil Press, Oil temp, Coolant Press, Fuel Press and Lambda 1 and 2

I was wondering if a) someone may already have a CAN data set that they know works with the D4 or b) someone may be willing to help me get even just RPM programmed, from which I can then expand the data set and add the other variables I require.

Many thanks in advance,

Troy.

Yeah I should be able to get you something to work.  

Can you attach your tune, and whatever dash config files I will need to view your dash config in toolset.  

I can duplicate the SQ6 omega stream in the ecu but it uses up quite a few ID's so if I can see what other options we have in toolset I might be able to do it another way.  

8 hours ago, Adamw said:

Yeah I should be able to get you something to work.  

Can you attach your tune, and whatever dash config files I will need to view your dash config in toolset.  

I can duplicate the SQ6 omega stream in the ecu but it uses up quite a few ID's so if I can see what other options we have in toolset I might be able to do it another way.  

You are a diamond!

I'm also trying to set a radiator fan can bus message to my ECUMaster PMU for fan operation - struggling with that too. I'm not sure if its just me not getting how the messages are supposed to be structured, although I have read all supporting documentation a couple of times and feel I have a reasonable understanding.

When I couldn't initially get the dash to work I swapped it from CAN 1 to CAN 2 to separate it, as the PMU and battery isolator are on CAN 1 also. However I feel my CANbus wires are okay as I can communicate with the PMU/isolator through the ECUMaster CAN to USB interface.

Massive thank you in advance.

For Adam.pclr For Adam at Link.toolset

Can you load these two files up and check if you get any data coming through.  I have only set up a handful of channels to check Im heading in the right direction. ECT, IAT and ecu voltage should should non zero values with engine not running.

Not sure if you need to add the channels to a display page or if you can just see them in the live data tab.

Compound CAN test.toolset ForAdam dash test.pclr

Hi Adam,

Not sure why, but I get a compile error when trying to upload the setup to the dash.

I could try copying all your settings to my setup that I know uploaded fine and see what happens. Give me half an hour and I'll let you know.

Really appreciate your help on this.

Troy.

21 minutes ago, TroyTempest said:

Hi Adam,

Not sure why, but I get a compile error when trying to upload the setup to the dash.

I could try copying all your settings to my setup that I know uploaded fine and see what happens. Give me half an hour and I'll let you know.

Really appreciate your help on this.

Troy.

I saved the stream from the setup you sent and then imported them into my old setup. Unfortunately it produces a compile error and won’t send it to the dash.

Troy 

Okay so having spent some time this evening on the car I realised I had some can comms errors on CAN2, so revisited my wiring and now have the dash and ECU talking. 

I programmed Engine speed and oil pressure only and I have numbers on the dash, but they make no sense. RPM is off by around 1k rpm and the oil pressure value just seems to be producing random numbers. 

I’m guessing this is down to bit sequencing perhaps? 

Give us a copy of the current configs and I will take a look.  

For the compile error with the file I done yesterday, try changing the number of states on the Indexor to 3.  I was initially going to do a couple more frames but stopped at 3, usually that wouldnt matter but I dont see anything else obviously wrong.

2k4EVVp.png

God their software is a POS.  It wont even open that file for me.  Says an input string is incorrectly formatted...

Whats your toolset version, maybe we have something different there thats causing us greif.

Pic of mine below, its only a few months old from memory.   

1TmOXFQ.png

02z6Csh.png

Okay, I managed to nail it.

The packet layout structure between PCLink and PiToolset is reversed as far as i can tell. I discovered this by changing offset values for certain channels and realising the data was changing on the dash on other channels.

So I now have it working but you have to have the start position numbering in inverse order.

I hope the attached screenshots help explain what I mean.

Thank you Adam for all your help, you definitely put me on the right track from your examples.

Troy

PCLink CAN Streams.PNG

PIToolset CAN Streams.PNG

PIToolset Packet Layout.PNG

1 hour ago, TroyTempest said:

The packet layout structure between PCLink and PiToolset is reversed as far as i can tell. I discovered this by changing offset values for certain channels and realising the data was changing on the dash on other channels.

It was correct in my original example since I was using little endian.  In your example above you are using big endian so yes cosworth are counting from the other end.  But I think you are also possibly confusing the terms "Start position" with "Start bit".  Start position is just refering to the position in the drawing at the bottom of the link set up screen, not the actual bit numbers.  Thats why it is always best to use the visual representation like you are now (when they have one, many manufacturers still dont!).  So if you look at Engine speed in the link drawing it is sitting nicely accross byte 0 & 1.  If you look in the Cosworth table engine speed is again nicely spread over Byte 0 & 1.  Some manufactures add further confusion by starting the byte and bit count at 1 instead of 0.  

7 minutes ago, Adamw said:

It was correct in my original example since I was using little endian.  In your example above you are using big endian so yes cosworth are counting from the other end.  But I think you are also possibly confusing the terms "Start position" with "Start bit".  Start position is just refering to the position in the drawing at the bottom of the link set up screen, not the actual bit numbers.  Thats why it is always best to use the visual representation like you are now (when they have one, many manufacturers still dont!).  So if you look at Engine speed in the link drawing it is sitting nicely accross byte 0 & 1.  If you look in the Cosworth table engine speed is again nicely spread over Byte 0 & 1.  Some manufactures add further confusion by starting the byte and bit count at 1 instead of 0.  

Hi Adam,

I see what you're getting at - I guess I was under the assumption that with CAN being a standardised system, that the visual representation numbering would be structured similarly across platforms. What was throwing me is the numbers 0 - 63 on the Link software are going in the opposite direction to that of the Cosworth software. In the link visual rep bit 0 starts in byte 0 and in the Cosworth software bit 0 starts in byte 7. But perhaps I'm just misunderstanding what this is representing?

I did try manually inputting the variables as you had them into your original example like for like, and this produced the same scrambled messages - but perhaps I messed up copying the details.

Anyway issue resolved and I now have a way to program the dash. Thank you so much for your help - definitely appreciated.

Troy.

• 2 years later...