Won't start no trigger signals

v8bloke

Hello chaps, I'm in need of some help please. Engine Rover v8 G4+ extreme. Engine has previously been running well. I fitted a dry sump system which meant moving the crank sensor slightly. I managed to adjust the settings accordingly and got the engine started and all good. car was left for about 10 months and now wont start. runtime values/triggers say NO Triggers 1 and 2 when cranking. tried to do a trigger scope but nothing. I have checked wiring and cant see anything amiss. the only thing that I have done since the engine started is fit an electronic speedo but cant see that being the problem. copy of the map attached.

Many thanks

286mlr.pclr

The Trig1/2 signal runtimes show yes as soon as the voltage on the trigger pins exceeds the arming threshold - it doesnt even need to be the correct signal or anything for them to show.  So if they are saying no signal, then it is highly likely there is no signal reaching the ecu.

I would start by unplugging both the ecu and the crank/cam sensors, and test continuity end to end - from ecu pin to crank pin etc.

• 1 month later...

OK, the continuity test was good for both crank and cam. The ECU has power (blue light on).  When cranking trigger 1 and 2 in runtime values say NO. I have changed the crank sensor but still nothing. This engine was running fine last year so what could have changed.

Would be very grateful for any advice on this and maybe what to try next.

Thanks

Your crank sensor is set up as a reluctor, so its voltage output will be affected by many factors - such as cranking speed as you have found, but also air gap and tooth design and many others.  What did you actually change with the trigger system when your changed to dry-sump?   Does the wheel run true?  What is the average sensor air gap?  

The cranking speed will only effect the crank sensor voltage, the cam sensor is set up as a hall so should work regardless of cranking speed/battery voltage.  

Can you do a triggerscope while cranking, and attach that before spending money.