Speed sensor setup

bmw329

Hi Guys,

When data logging on the M50B25TU plug in, my vehicle speed is only logging correctly under acceleration. At a cruising speed it drops to around 7 kph, but fluctuates quite a bit (up to around 30 kph). My speed during this time is constant at 100 kph. The sensor itself is wired to cluster then the cluster outputs a signal to the ECU. The cluster is working normally with no variations in speed.

Did I miss something on the speed sensor setup or is this a symptom of a bad sender/cluster?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, still scratching my head over this one.

I have attached a picture of the output during a relatively stable rpm. As you can see the DI#1 frequency is extremely inconsistent when the rpm and *real* ground speed is constant. Maybe I misunderstand how these are suppose to work, but I think the frequency should be stable for any particular speed of rotation at the diff (where the sensor is located). I am leaning towards a bad sender, so I might just pull the trigger and buy one. But I really hate being disappointed.

Anyone have some insight?

vss-signal.jpg

Couple of things to check.

You can try turning the pullup off and then back on again in the ECU on that DI.

I would also suggest checking the wiring to the sensor as i have now seen a number of BMW's where the wiring is in a bad way and the insulation is coming off the wires causing shorts.

• 11 months later...

Thought I'd follow up.. after a almost a year.

Today I went and bought another cluster and it sorted out the VSS output (95 325is cluster -> 96 328is cluster). From what I could figure, the old cluster's processor wasn't outputting 5V DC to the sensor circuit consistently. The reed switch opens on a tooth, so it drops the voltage to 0. But since the cluster wasn't putting out a consistent 5V each voltage drop was being read as another "tooth".

Anyway, thought I'd post in case someone else has a similar situation.