Suspected coil driver fault.

Greenday694

I am back with a new problem. And instead of hijacking somebody else's thread I would post it here.

It had been working flawlessly for the last 2 years. Spent the last two weeks prepping for the dyno, went to drive it over to put it up on a lift to check everything underneath, and it started misfiring. Number one coil stopped firing. Swap coils, replaced plug, check for power, signal, and ground. Everything checked except for signal. Check continuity between the coil primary plug and ECU plug. Everything checked out fine. The dyno is scheduled in three days. And track day next Saturday. Guess I will not be making neither one.

And yes I did back probe the main connector on ECU, pin 50, black with white stripe wire. Tried with ignition test ignition number one on. Only got 12.9 V back feeding through a coil. Disconnect coil and I get a very weak flickering ground. Test off, very weak steady ground. I was actually hoping to see nothing. Then it could possibly be a loose solder connection.

One thing I was curious about.? My car is a 6 cylinder. Under auxiliary output ignition it has ignition Drive 7 for AC clutch. Ignition Drive 8 for Purge. Could I reconfigure and rewire to use one of these to drive ignition coil 1?

6 hours ago, Greenday694 said:

Tried with ignition test ignition number one on. Only got 12.9% back feeding through a coil. Disconnect coil and I get a very weak flickering ground. Test off, very weak steady ground. I was actually hoping to see nothing. Then it could possibly be a loose solder connection.

How were you testing?  The ign test is only a 2ms pulse to ground so you will only see it with a scope or LED test light.  It wont work with no coil connected.

6 hours ago, Greenday694 said:

One thing I was curious about.? My car is a 6 cylinder. Under auxiliary output ignition it has ignition Drive 7 for AC clutch. Ignition Drive 8 for Purge. Could I reconfigure and rewire to use one of these to drive ignition coil 1?

No, you need to use Ign 1-6.  

Contact [email protected] if you want the ecu inspected.

1 hour ago, Adamw said:

How were you testing?  The ign test is only a 2ms pulse to ground so you will only see it with a scope or LED test light.  It wont work with no coil connected.

No, you need to use Ign 1-6.  

Yes at first I use the oscilloscope. Then for Simplicity switched over to LED test light. Ran the test on cylinder 2 so I had a idea of what the test light should be doing. Yes the coil was plugged in during the test. I could hear the ark from ignition coil 2, coincided with the LED flash.

Cylinder 1, no signal at the coil, or at pin 50 on the e c u.

I forget at what hertz I had on the oscilloscope. But the on time was 2 milliseconds. At battery voltage of 12.9, the pulse to ground was fluctuating between 1.9 and 2.6 volts. Not enough to fire the coil. Typical symptoms of a Field Effect transistor going bad.

I forget at what hertz I had on the oscilloscope. But the on time was 2 milliseconds. At battery voltage of 12.9, the pulse to ground was fluctuating between 1.9 and 2.6 volts. Not enough to fire the coil. Typical symptoms of a Field Effect transistor going bad.,

Where do I send the ECU for repair? The link website keeps redirecting me all over the place.

On 8/30/2021 at 10:57 AM, Adamw said:

Mention you suspect the coil driver is faulty.  Tech will send you a form to fill out along with shipping instructions.  Make sure you mention in your email where in the world you are so they can give the closest shipping option.