Transfer G4+ file to g4x

Greenday694

Okay as I mentioned in my other thread I was having a problem with my G4 Plus. I contacted Link, they sent me the form and address to send out to be repaired. 

In the meantime I bought the g4x. Should have it tomorrow or the next day. Downloaded the g4x software, and apparently I cannot just open the G4 plus file in the g4x.

Is there any easy way to copy over my tune from the one to the other? Besides having my two laptops open and copying each value one at a time?

I am not a tuner. But over the years I had the G4 Plus, I have made a lot of little changes that had the car running pretty good. I would hate to have to redo that whole process over again.

It has to be done manually, many of the strategies have changed so much they will need tuning from scratch.  Basic fuel and ignition are mostly pretty similar so the bulk of it will be ok, but accel enrichment, closed loop lambda, knock control, idle control, vvt etc have all changed a lot.  If you attach your two maps I can copy the settings over and set up decent starting points for most of the new stuff.

I've run into another question.

In the G4+ map, there is an Aux output assigned to VVT, and there is an elaborate blend of 2 fuel tables and 2 ign tables based on VVT cam position.  But then it is using a non-VVT trigger mode and no vvt is set up, so none of that would have ever worked?  Is it meant to have vvt or has it since been deleted?

My engine is the M50 t u.

The reseller I bought the G4 plus from, loaded it with the m-52 base map. I did ask him why the m-52 instead of the M50. He said because the M50 only switches between the two maps based on Vanos activation. And since it takes a few seconds for the intake cam to fully advance once activated, he preferred using the m-52 set up. Because as the intake cam is transitioning , the two maps will blend over. 

I know in the factory Bosch ECU this is true. I have tuned the 413, and the ms41 in the past. Not sure if the link e c u does the same thing?

The cam position wouldnt even have worked using the multitooth missing trigger mode.  M52 uses a special trigger mode to use both edges on trig 2 to determine cam position.  I have never heard of anyone needing to do this and seems like a waste of time.  You obviously arent going to be able to do flex fuel either if you do this.  

Map attached.  I have turned off the dual fuel tables and dual ign tables & VVT.  I think it is adding complication that is not necessary, I suggest try it without it and only add complication if needed.  Remember the OEM needs to keep lambda at 1.0 at all times, you dont need too, and if the fuel drifts a bit rich or lean for a split second while the cam moves, no one is going to know. 

I have turned off all the stuff that is going to mess up tuning - Individual cylinder ign & fuel trims, knock control has the retard limit set to 0.  I would probably turn of transient retard as well if it were me.  

Phoenix update 1.pclx

• 2 weeks later...