Vipec Engine protection strategy? Oil pres / Fuel pres...

MMC_Tuner

Hi All,

I'm looking through the VIPEC software and can only find Limits which focus's on RPM, Speed or MAP related limits.

Is engine protection purely done here?

I'm assuming:

Set GP RPM Limit 1 or 2.

Set to advanced.

Select input to be used (vs RPM or other).

In my case it'll be AN Vx (oil pressure or fuel pressure).

Set rpm limit in the event of conditions being met.

Is this correct?

Am I only limited to two limits?

What other ways can I do this?

What about sensor fault conditions? Can I use an overall sensor fault to create a high level alarm?

By this I mean, define all sensor voltage related thresholds.. create 1 RPM limit for any sensor that goes out of range. Or is fault sensor under Analog inputs moreso related to faulty sensors and not threshold limits?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Fault Settings.JPG

Limits RPM.JPG

Using AN as RPM limit protection.JPG

22 minutes ago, MMC_Tuner said:

Is engine protection purely done here?

Yes.  GP Limit 1 & 2, it is a 10 year old ecu so your options where a litlte more limited back then.   There is an example how oil pressure would be done in the help file.  

25 minutes ago, MMC_Tuner said:

What about sensor fault conditions? Can I use an overall sensor fault to create a high level alarm?

By this I mean, define all sensor voltage related thresholds.. create 1 RPM limit for any sensor that goes out of range. Or is fault sensor under Analog inputs moreso related to faulty sensors and not threshold limits?

Generally for any critical sensor you set up the error value so that it fails safe.  For example set up your ECT fault value to 150°C so that if the ECT sensor fails the ecu would apply whatever limit normally applies for coolant at 150°C, it would normally be a low RPM limit.  

You could use a virtual aux(s) to combine a few conditions to trigger a GP limit if it is needed but that wouldnt be common.