TE72 corolla 3sge BEAMS + MonsoonX - won't rev past 600 rpm......

gmiyahira

I recently installed a 3SGE BEAMS black top into my 1981 Toyota Corolla (TE72) using a Panic-Wire universal harness with the MonsoonX ecu. The engine will fire up and idle fine. I'm using an Innovate LC2 wideband and the AFR is between 13.3-16.0 at idle  but once I open the throttle, the engine will run terribly. The engine will not accelerate over 600 rpm and the AFR goes to 22.4.

So far the things I have done include the following:

- Performed MAP & TPS calibration. 

- Verified I'm getting 60 psi fuel pressure via fuel pressure gauge connected to the fuel rail. 

I'm not familiar with running aftermarket ECUs and not sure what to check next.

I have uploaded a log file in the hopes that someone can see if there's something not right.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. 

PC Datalog - 2022-01-5 2;59;22 pm.llgx

Ok, there are a lot of very odd settings in that map.  I have fixed a few of them in the map I attached.  Give it a try, master fuel will likely need to be increased quite a bit to get it to run with this map so if no signs of life or still is not happy increase that until it runs best.  

Also noticed your fuel pressure sensor is not working - that is not causing a problem however.

Some of the main settings I didnt like:

• Equation load source was set to BAP - should be MAP for speed density.
  • Short PW adder had big values for such small injectors, unlikely correct - zeroed that out.
  • Accel sense was zero.  Accel deadband was very high.  Set that to more typical values.
  • Exhaust VVT was set up to advance instead of retard.  Changed to negative angles.

Some other changes to give a better starting point:

• Enabled open loop target table.
  • Enabled asynchronous injection.
  • Changed Idle ignition target and clamp.

To load this map, connect PC Link to the ecu then go to >file>open.  Do a store once loaded.

TE72BEAMSBASEMAP V2.pclx

I've loaded the map you send me. I had to set the Master Fuel to 28ms in order for the engine to idle decently. Now I'm able to increase the engine speed when i open the throttle but its seems like its hitting the rev limiter ay 3000rpm. Also the AFR is at 20.0-22.4 at idle and when revving the engine. 

20 minutes ago, gmiyahira said:

but its seems like its hitting the rev limiter ay 3000rpm

Oh yes, I was meant to mention that and forgot earlier.  Your RPM limit is set to 3000RPM in your original tune and I didnt change it in my modified version.  

You can set it yourself to something more sensible.  Go to >engine protection>RPM limit.  

The wideband doesnt sound believable, I dont think the engine would even run at 20:1 so I would ignore that for now.  

Is it running ok now?

The biggest problem would have been the equation load source set to BAP.  This means no extra fuel would have been added when the manifold pressure increases with the open throttle.  BAP is typically only used on ITB engines that dont have a good MAP signal - but the fuel table will be a very different shape to use BAP.  The Accel fuel zeroed out wouldnt have helped the cause much either.  

• 11 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 12:08 PM, essb00 said:

Tune file = your basemap file (*.pclx)

Since my last post I have switched to ITBs (4AGE 20V blacktop) and had the MonsoonX remote tuned. The car is running good but I've been having an issue and its steadily gotten worse. 

After the engine is started (hot or cold) the AFR will start to go lean and the engine will stall. I'm also running into a similar issue when driving the car in reverse (backing into a driveway). Sometimes blipping the throttle when the AFR starts to go lean will bring the AFR back to normal (12-13). Other times no matter how much throttle I apply the AFR will go lean the then engine will bog down and stall. 

After the engine is restarted it would run fine after that.

This problem would happen occasionally since the remote tune but recently has gotten more often. 

I have attached a copy of the base map & a log file when the stall occurred. 

TE72 BEAMS .pclx PC Datalog - 2023-02-5 12;07;18 pmcold start stall.llgx