300zx ecu would not connect to computer.

kevin p

I'm having an issue, the ecu will not connect to the laptop when the ignition is turn on. It asks for the firmware update. 

I remove the ecu from for the car and bench it, install the firmware update and reinstall it in the car with the same issue. 

The car will not start and I'm getting a clicking sound from the IAC. When one of the plugs are disconnected from the IAC its stops but I'm not getting fuel pump, rpm or anything that is needed for the car to run. 

The car was running fine before this with the exception of misfiring at mid to high rpm under load.

I've installed a stock ecu and I do hear the fuel pump, but it will not run because of the NZ trigger setup.

Thanks for any input.

The symptoms you describe are common when the ECU is not powered up by the main power supply.  If the main power supply is missing the ECU will still power up via a backfeed through one of the auxes (the clicking IAC suggests its being powered up via the iac aux), but there wont be enough current for it to work correctly and it will brown out and give odd errors like boot mode or disconnect when trying to load a map etc.  

The most common problem with Nissan ECU's is the main connector is bent and not seated all the way home at the ends.  You can end up with the bolt in the middle tight but the connector bending out towards the ends.  So start by having a close look at this.  I have also seen them where the threaded hole is damaged so the bolt bottoms out before the connector is fully engaged.