trigger help

suka32

Hi,

I'm new to all this so not sure what all this stuff means in the triggerscope. I have a yelsha-d cam trigger on my RB30det. I have two copies attached, 1st one while cranking trig1 signal turns green, i get about 10-15 trig1 errors and 1700rpm engine speed. 2nd one i increased the gap slightly with a spacer on the reluctor sensor, while cranking trig1 turns green,0-2 trig1 errors and 0rpm. any help would be appreciated just wanting to start my car to check for leaks etc before going to tuner.

TriggerScopeLog 90.llgx TriggerScopeLog 90 w-gap.llgx

Yeah neither looks very good.  The first one looks better but still not really acceptable voltage.  It looks like it has still got way too much air gap. 

Did you remove the rubber gasket thing that goes between the factory CAS and cover?

Its better but still quite a mess.  Something else must be wrong, its missing the ground or something.  

You can almost see a ghost of the trigger 1 waveform in trigger 2 so possibly the sensor negative is connected to trig 2 rather than ground or something?

• 3 weeks later...

Have checked wiring and should be all good. does this look better to you? i also just wired in an iat sensor with maf wiring and swapped pin 27 to 36 at ecu, which cleared my iat sensor errors but when i was cranking for triggerscope it came up with a 5v analog supply error which i havnt seen before?

TriggerScope#1.llgx

Oops yeah yelsha D that's how I had the settings, no wonder the scope looked so different this time. I forgot to change it back as I was going to try the standard cas. Is there a rough trigger offset I can try just to get started as I don't have a timing light? Will change trigger settings back and try again does everything else look OK? 

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this could be related to my trigger issue but I have found all my ground outputs at the ecu measure 0.04v as does pin 38 which is for my tps signal. My tps is brand new but wasn't registering on PC link its getting 5v feed fine but when I back probe the signal wire it reads 0.02v. If I disconnect the signal wire I get 5v reading on the tps signal pin but as soon as I reconnect signal wire it reads 0.02v? Also my ground pin at trigger reads 0.02v could this be causing the ghost effect you were talking about?

30 minutes ago, suka32 said:

Not sure if this could be related to my trigger issue but I have found all my ground outputs at the ecu measure 0.04v

That is just a ground offset between whatever two points your voltmeter is connected to.  0.04 is nothing to worry about.  

31 minutes ago, suka32 said:

My tps is brand new but wasn't registering on PC link its getting 5v feed fine but when I back probe the signal wire it reads 0.02v. If I disconnect the signal wire I get 5v reading on the tps signal pin but as soon as I reconnect signal wire it reads 0.02v?

That sounds like possibly the TPS is pinned wrong.  confirm using this test:

sJuumuF.png

Oh yeah I ran a new signal wire to ecu and works fine now cheers. God knows where the other wire came from or what was coming out of the ecu but now my fuel pump doesn't want to prime at ignition looks like there's been a couple dodgy mods to my wiring loom. One step forward two steps back

• 1 month later...

Hi there still having trigger issues. i just did 2 more trigger scopes did first one turned key off then turned back on and tried again and they look completely different i would assume it needs to be the same everytime? any help would be greatly appreciated

TriggerScopeLog8.llgx TriggerScopeLog9.llgx

Yeah your trigger waveform still looks terrible.  

Im still pretty sure it is a wiring issue as you have spikes of random voltage in your scope, but I would also suggest you check your trigger wheel is running true, I have had a couple of cases now where they havent been machined right and dont sit flat on the sproket.

Example of the problem here:

No, still looks pretty ugly.  

Did you check mechanical runout etc as suggested above?  Still looks more electrical to me but need to eliminate the mechanical possibilities I guess.

Can you do another trigger scope with all spark plugs out to see if it cleans up with less starter motor current passing through the wiring.  

Well, it looks a whole lot better in that scope.  Still not perfect but completely different and very close to how it should look.  So, it appears when your starter motor is pulling high current your trigger signal goes to shit.  This would most likely suggest you have have a large resistance in the main power wiring somewhere so some starter motor current is taking an easier path by passing through some ecu wiring instead.

So I would say most likely a poor main ground connection somewhere. I would start with a volt drop test of the starter circuit.  If you dont know how to do that search Youtube and you will find some guides.

Cheers mate, if I'm doing it right I have near 2v at the starter case ground so definitely something not right in the ignition circuit. Would also explain why I had a batt volt error when cranking with my old battery it would go from 12v to less than 8v.