Can lambda reading

fiestacosworth

Hi. I wondering if anyone can help. My can lambda has been absolutely fine. Not plugged into the car for a while. Wanted to adjust some cold start this morning. And notice my can lambda is reading between 5 and 7!! This surly can’t be right as the engine is running sweet. Anyone has this before ? I disconnected the plug and reconnected and it was reading .9 lambda. Then after a few seconds jumped back up to 5!!

Thanks 

Shortly after startup you have error 16,33 & 34, these errors are usually related to a noisy power supply, or a power supply that cant provide enough current.  So if you havent already, I would add the capacitor to the power wires as per the alternative diagram in the quick start guide. The cap with often solve those errors.

However, that is not your only problem - after about 50 seconds the lambda does eventually make it through the heating stage and reaches temperature, but the lambda is still reading very high.  So if you are sure there are no vacuum leaks on the intake side or exhaust leaks on the other side then I would say the sensor is probably faulty too.  With it not heating due to the Error 16/33/34 when the engine has been running (assuming those errors have been happening for a while and no one noticed), then that wouldnt have done the sensor life any favors.  

Hi Adam. So strange. I had problems with the can lambda before due to the power supply so it wouldn’t work at all. I re wired it with a seperate power supply and it’s worked absolutely perfect. Had it mapped a few weeks back and all perfectly fine no errors. Done probably 40 miles in the car and it’s now started doing this. My 1st can lambda unit gave up so I got sent a replacement. Like I said I have put the car on my emmisions machine and the engine is actually running spot on and where it should be. Just seems strange to happen all of a sudden. 

I can only offer my experience.  Every time I have ever seen error 16,33&34 reported together is when there is a power supply issue.  It is usually solved by fitting the cap or a dedicated relay direct from the battery with decent sized wires.  The most common cause of an unrealistic lambda measurement if you are sure there is no air leak is a poisoned or mechanically damaged sensor so that is the first thing to eliminate.  Oxygen sensors are quite fragile, the ceramic can be cracked easily from thermal shock, limiter back fires etc.  They can also be poisoned by silicon sealant and silicone based sprays, antifreeze if there is an internal leak, carbon fouling from excessively rich mixtures, etc.  

Well thinking about it then. What may have happened is that all the issues with power supply before have caused the sensor to be damaged maybe. 
I can try the cap. I do have it wired to a relay from its own power supply direct from the battery. But it can’t hurt.