Lambda meter & AIT verification

sardengineering

Good day,

I would like to ask for your assistance to resolve two curiosities please.

What is the preferred lambda meter which should be used with the Vi-PEC engine management systems? Should I be using lambda meters which support isolated ground circuits, that is to say the 0 - 5 or 0 - 1 volt output signal from the lambda meter must have a separate reference ground wire and not one which is shared with another circuit on the lambda meter?

Secondly, are there any specific tests to confirm that I was supplied with the correct AIT sensor prior to or otherwise alternatively to a real time temperature reference exercise on a live engine?

Thank you kindly for your time and I will be patiently looking forward to your response with much anticipation.

Cheers!

-------------------------

Damien King

Technical Analyst/EFI University Graduate

Stephen's Automotive Research & Development Engineering

Hi Damien,

I use my trusty Autronic wideband meter.

However I believe many have had success with the NGK AFX and some seem to like the Innovate products.

At the end of the day, if you are using the meter for an income and or doing lots of tuning, my advise is to use the best meter you can afford.

An isolated earth is always desirable to stop ground looping.

As for the IAT sensor,

I have never bothered to check the specs on the sensor as far as ohms versus temp for scaling.

What does your sensor look like.

Regards

Dave.

Good day to you Dave, thank you kindly for taking the time to send a response which was quite helpful.

I'm very new to the Vi-PEC brand and I will appreciate any assistance which can be afforded to me.

At the moment I have a MoTeC PLM which I recently started using but previously I was using the LM2 for quite a long time. I was quite keen on the NGK AFX as an alternative to the LM2 but I was not certain if the investment would bring any merit while using Vi-PEC products. In the past I've been working with an engine management system which was extremely specific about the devices/sensors being used to send input data to the EMS itself, so very specific MAP sensors, AIT sensors and Lambda meters were not only needed for high levels of quality operational use but also for the input data to be accepted in most cases. As you might imagine there were clever work around enabling allowances for different devices or sensors other than that which was specified to be used.

Being new to Vi-PEC I wanted to ensure that I made enough provisions to ensure that my working experience and product experience won’t be hampered in any way as a result of lesser quality parts which could have been used but not recommended. I'll try to send a photo of the AIT sensor being used in hopes that any specifics may be identified. What I can tell you is that the AIT being used was sold to me as an Autronic AIT by a Vi-PEC dealer who was once an Autronic dealer; however, upon trying it with my Autronic EMS it didn't work. I was then told that I may have gotten one of the very early Vi-PEC AIT sensors by accident, at which point I decided to keep it as I would have commenced working with Vi-PEC products quite shortly.

I'm terribly sorry about the long winded response but I wanted to explain the reasoning behind my initial post and the only way I could have done that was to explain my current scenario.

Thanks again for your time Dave and I hope to be in touch soon enough when I post my follow up question prior to attempting my first install.

Cheers!

Hi Damien,

no problem.

The MoTeC PLM should work fine.

Does the IAT sensor you were sent have 2 wires with a white 2 pin connect on it with an exposed thermistor on the end of the sensor.

Or does the sensor have a housing around the thermistor with a black 2 pin connector attached to the actual sensor with no wires.

Regards

Dave.

Dave,

The AIT I'm using has two wires with a white connector at one end and an exposed thermistor at the other end.

Am I in luck?

I suppose the upside of using an isolated ground on the lambda output signal wire holds through despite the EMS used. No worries though, I'll continue to use the LM2 for monitoring and/or evaluation sessions and use the PLM when I am undertaking engine calibration tasks.

Many thanks once again Dave, cheers!

Hi,

the AIT sensor sounds like an Autronic sensor, however from memory (which I wouldn't trust) some of the early ViPEC IAT sensors looked the same, however where either positive temp co-efficient or negative temp co-efficient.

I can't really remember.

Regards

Dave.

Dave,

This co-relates to what the dealer explained, unfortunate for me he didn't have any of the new AIT sensors in stock.

What I can confirm is that the AIT looks very much identical to an Autronic part except it doesn't work with the Autronic EMS. If you've worked with the Autronic EMS previously you would know that you may only use their AIT sensors, with the only exception being the SM4 and SM3 EMS units which make allowances for the NTC type sensor. I've only ever used the Autronic AIT so I have no experience verifying the NTC as an alternative but I was instructed that it can work.

Having explained this, and noting that my V88 install hasn't started yet, can I proceed with the current AIT or would it be best to order a new one? I was speaking with a few dealers and it was explained that Bosch sensors could be used. This made me curious about how sensor scaling would be completed if different sensors were compatible. However thinking about it out loud I suppose I am over thinking things and I might as well go ahead purchasing a new AIT.

I'm sorry to drag this on further but would the GM MAP sensors compatible as well? If I am going to be purchasing a new AIT I might as well get a brand new MAP as well, just to be safe.

You may be wondering how I managed to have so many missing parts but my V88 was purchased from a retired performance car. I bought it used through the dealer which was local to the car and so the removal was properly supervised. Unfortunately both the dealer and car are not local to me, so I have opted to go through the proper channels and seek assistance from the support medium setup by Vi-PEC. At the moment, I am doing some verification work on the harness which was used but it’s still very functional. I was missing the AIT, the MAP and the USB com cable but I have since purchased the com cable brand new and ended up with the AIT by accident as previously explained. Also I had an unused GM MAP sensor I am hoping to use, but I'll wait for your advisory before proceeding.

Much appreciated as always Dave, cheers!

Hi Damien,

yes the GM MAP sensor will work.

The IAT should work also.

Under the ANALOGUE Temp and Volt inputs, you have 6 calibration tables, where you can setup different sensors.

Cal 1,2 and 3 have a more comprehensive setup and CAL4,5 and 6 are a more basic setup.

If you know the values of the sensor you can create your on calibrations.

EG: measure the resistance of the sensor at room temp and at 100 deg celcius etc, add those temps and resistance values to the table you create.

I have used the GM MAP sensors with V88' s on quite a few installs.

Regards

Dave.

Dave,

I really appreciate the assistance you've given and I am looking forward to working with the Vi-PEC brand while making contribution of some worth to the online community of users here on this forum.

What I'll try to do is document my installation with photos and video to compliment a deatiled enough write up so that others may benefit in a productive manner.

Many thanks once again for everything, cheers!