Gear cut setup and knock settings help

07_wrex

Hey guys. I have a 2007 STi with a built engine and 6266 turbo running e85. Car is running great and made 592/506 at the wheels last time on the dyno. I took it out last night to test the gear cut shift settings. This did not go well. haha. I have included a picture of the setup I tried last night.

I am thinking -20* ignition retard is a bit much. I plan on trying out 5800 rpm and -7* retard in the next couple days. Should I set the time lower? Say maybe 0.4-0.5 seconds?

Also, is there a way to de-activate knock while gear cut is active? I got a huge spike from the knock setup and it caused it to remove an additional 8.4* of timing. Knock control works well as it sits. It just needs to turn off in between shifts because its obviously making noise. It's part of the way it works. I get that the knock sensor is picking up the noise, but I don't want it to act on it (during gear cut shift). Should I just turn knock control off when I'm going to use gear cut shift? That would be a little annoying though.

Let me know what you guys think and if there's any way to accomplish what I'm wanting.

Thanks,

Sean

post-1506-143450214689_thumb.jpg

Hi Sean

That is some good power you are getting from the Subaru.

The fact that Knock was detected concerns me. On a clean shift I see no reason for there to be knock or any extra engine noise.

You will have explosions in the exhaust due to the un-burnt fuel but I wouldn't expect this to cause enough noise to be picked up off a knock sensor.

Do you happen to have a full log file and PCL you could email through for us to have a look at?

I am particularly interested to know if there were any trigger errors.

Hi Simon.

Thanks. It certainly is fun!

I don't think I saved that particular log for some reason. Stupid me. I was not actually able to make the shift because it was so brutal. I did not grind anything, I was just unable to get the shifter in place without pushing really hard and I chose not to push harder than I was at that moment. My knock settings are pretty sensitive I think. The valve train is also pretty noisy on these cars. And mine has developed a tick after this test. :/ haha. I had already ordered a new short block before I tried this out though.

• 2 weeks later...

Simon,

Gotcha. I would imagine an additional fuel percentage as soon as the cut is disengaged would work well for that. Similar to the setting in the current gear cut setup where it adds fuel percent upon exit.

I guess I was not really expecting the cut to be so violent. I asked another sti owner running a vipec and he said that it is alarmingly violent even when working properly. haha.