99 obd2 torneo with EPS - link compatibility

GinjaNinja-NZ

Hi there

I have a 99 Honda Torneo with f20b engine.

I have just done a manual swap on it and my speedo isn't working, the auto box didn't have a speed sender unit in the diff, I believe the ecu calculated speed using one or more shaft sensors in the box. 

So the advice is to get a manual ECU to match the manual box and VSS, and I figured why not get something aftermarket while I'm at it, kill 2 birds with one stone.

Onto the main question, the EPS module is complaining that it doesn't have a vehicle speed signal, I'm not sure if it gets this signal directly from the VSS, directly from the main ECU or if it gets it from the gauge cluster. Is there someone who can shed some light on whether or not a plug in link ecu will work for me?

I'm looking at the link g4x obd2 civiclink plug in ECU

20230303_095753.jpg

The VSS is a square wave signal so it can be shared with many devices.  It is connected to both the speedo and the ecu, the ecu doesn't send speed on to anything else.  I dont have any diagrams for models with EPS but I would guess that is also directly connected to the VSS.

mp0R5vd.png

image.png

On 3/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, Adamw said:

The VSS is a square wave signal so it can be shared with many devices.  It is connected to both the speedo and the ecu, the ecu doesn't send speed on to anything else.  I dont have any diagrams for models with EPS but I would guess that is also directly connected to the VSS.

mp0R5vd.png

image.png

Awesome, thanks for that, so just wanting to confirm, will this this ecu work with my car? 

HC96 OBD2A | PN 206-4000 

I see some of them are hc96 and some are hc96x, not sure if there's a difference

I hanve no exposure to a Torneo so I cant say for sure, but assuming it uses the common Honda OBD2A pinout it should work.

HC96 was the item code for the original G4 generation civic plug-in, we stopped making those in about 2013, HC96+ was the G4+ civic plug-in, they were manufactured from 2013-2020, the current generation is G4X, with item code HC96X.