Honda K24A3 Startup issues with E36 PNP G4+

BarrelRoll

Hi Everyone, 

ECU: BMW e36 PNP G4+

Engine: Honda K24A3, Standard K24 Coil Packs, Internal Link 4 Bar Map sensor

I have been trying to get my car to run properly for a little while now and keep running into what seems to be ignition issues, I have set the base timing and that seems fine, but I still cant seem to get it running anywhere half decent - It is extremely hard to start and when it is running it seems to break up or backfire with any revs. 

I have the resistors wired in as per the manual, and spark edge set to rising to correctly run the k24 coils. I have spark/timing light with the ignition test function (spark plug in the head), but I cannot get spark / timing light while cranking with the plug in the head.

I can set base timing with a spark plug out of the head. The issue seems to be that the spark is weak but only when cranking and with the plug in the head?   

I am unsure if this is related but I also have an issue where I have a single spark at ignition on, even though I have wired an ignition relay from the fuel pump signal. There was also a spark at key off when I did not have an ignition relay wired in, so it at least fixed that but I feel like only the ecu can be triggering spark now if its is wired through the fuel pump? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. At this point i am a bit lost, maybe issues with K24 trigger mode and bypassing internal igniters? or maybe i am exceeding the 10amp of the k24 coils? 470ohm resistor not correct for k24 coils? at this point i am just guessing

I have included a trigger scope and a log recording at cranking.

k20z4-Modified.pclr Log 2023-04-25 1;10;40 pm.llg Log.llg Trigger Scope Log 2023-04-20 8;36;23 pm.llg

If the coils can spark at power up then they must have 12V coming from somewhere, that would suggest a wiring issue.  I would investigate that first as it may mean they also dont have 12v when cranking.  

The 470ohm 5v pull-up should drive the K24 coils no worries.  

Your trigger scope looks more like a K20 pattern rather than K24 also so it would be worth trying that - just in case it is causing it to spark on exhaust stroke.  From memory they usually still start with either mode, you just get trigger errors when the VVT cam moves.