IAT location

DerekAE86

I'm in the process of redoing my intake setup and have the oppertunity to move my IAT sensor to a more ideal location.

I've got ITBs using a pipercross filter. So no intake piping or "airbox" as such.

The IAT I've currently got is the normal Toyota black plastic style:
toyotaiat.jpg.d5b5ed0e2ca50dc069bf3f3dffef5f86.jpg

Should I shove it into the mounting plate of the pipercross filter so it's sitting near the trumpets inside the filtered zone - but potentially get stagnant air or heatsoak from the engine.

Or move it out into the engine bay near the source of fresh airflow and make better use of the Charge Temp tables?

In my 4A-GE 20V with ITBs on Pipercross (although this one is still on stock ECU), I made a holder for the IAT sensor between the mouths of 2 & 3 velo stacks. At least in that location, there's little stagnation of air.

Sorry, I don't have a pic as the Pipercross is currently dismantled (using stock intake for the moment). :D

• 8 months later...

Sorry to reply to a super old post - but I would replace that iat sensor with a gm style one - my old honda used those plastic sensors as well, and the sensor body can heatsoak from a hot engine bay and affect your iat reading, making the ecu think the air temp is way hotter than it really is.

The gm style iat keeps the sensor and the body/plug bit separate so that heatsoak in the engine bay isnt an issue - and solved the flakey readings the ecu was seeing from the factory plastic sensor for me.  sensor location was in a rubber intake pipe, i suspect if you had the sensor mounted in an alloy intake tube it would still heatsoak - but the gm sensor should still be less of an issue than the full plastic one.

on my k series both sensors had the same callibration data so it was a straight swap.