R32 ECCS / IGN relay issue

jti-Jamie

Hi guys,

Hope you can help.

R32 gtst, spec 2 RB25 on a G4+ pnp

ECCS relay had failed, causing fuel pump to stay on with key turned to ignition and ECU looses power when cranking.

Tried a new relay, same issue. Removing the relay entirely gives the same symptoms as it being plugged in, even wiring in a 40a 4pin relay does the same.

The only way around is to bridge the pins on the relay (3 to 5, 6 to 7 and 1 to 2). Then everything works as it should, fuel pump works when cranking and running, issue being now that the ECU has permanent power.

Do I have a further issue with a relay elsewhere, or is it a wiring/ecu problem. The car had been running for a few years before this, so nothing has changed recently other than the car being in a minor crash and then it got repaired/painted.

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks 

The skyline power circuit works like this:

The ignition switch is connected to pin 45, this pin should have 12V when the ignition switch is on.  This pin does not power the ecu, it is just an "ignition on" signal.  There is an independent circuit on the adapter board that grounds pin 16 when the Ign switch pin is live.  Pin 16 is the control for the ECCS relay.  When the ECCS relay engages, this supplies 12V to pin 49 & 59 and the ecu then powers up.  

So, one of these is missing.  3 things to confirm:

1. There is 12V on pin 45 when ign is on.  
  2. The ECU is grounding pin 16 when the ignition is on.
  3. There is 14V coming from the ECCS relay to pin 49&59 when pin 16 is shorted to ground. 

7 hours ago, jti-Jamie said:

Pin 4 is ground ignition on or off

That doesnt sound right, but perhaps you are not testing it how I imagine.  If you manually short ecu pin 4 to ground with a piece of wire and paperclip or similar, do you then have 12V on 67/72?

9 hours ago, jti-Jamie said:

The only way around is to bridge the pins on the relay (3 to 5, 6 to 7 and 1 to 2)

Bridging 1 to 2 would have been a dead short so has possibly fried the FET, but the test above will help understand if this is the issue or not. 

13 hours ago, Adamw said:

That doesnt sound right, but perhaps you are not testing it how I imagine.  If you manually short ecu pin 4 to ground with a piece of wire and paperclip or similar, do you then have 12V on 67/72?

Bridging 1 to 2 would have been a dead short so has possibly fried the FET, but the test above will help understand if this is the issue or not. 

Sorry let me start again!

Pin 4 is 12v with ignition on or off

If I then ground pin 4 with ignition on using a power probe I get 13.5v on pin 67/72