2004 A4 1.8L no trigger signal

Cody M

Hello all, like the title says I have an 04 a4. It was a 1.8, but currently stroked to a 2.0L. I am fairly new but can navigate myself around and am interested in learning more! Well I just got my build buttoned up, went to prime it and start and I have no trigger signal at all as well as no rpm signal. I'm leaning towards crankshaft position sensor but I should still see trig2 capturing something right? I see absolutely nothing. 

This is what I got when running a scope. Its like it doesn't see anything. I have ran a test, I do have spark under testing. I'm most likely missing something simple. I think I did the initial setup correct unless I have to 'turn on' something. haha

Trigger Scope Log 9-7-23 4;41;31 pm.llg

Trigger Scope Log-2 09-7-2023 7;05;56 pm.llg

Edited by Cody M
added another scope

Ok, that scope shows the cam signal, but nothing from the crank.  Is this a TT plug-in or a wire-in ECU?  

Assuming a plug-in, I would start by unplugging the ecu plug and measure resistance between pin 90 in the loom plug (crank sensor ground) and 82 (crank sensor signal), I would expect about 900ohm if there is continuity all the way to the sensor and back and the sensor is good.  

If you dont get about 900ohm there, then check resistance at the sensor plug between the Gnd & Out pins to confirm that is ok.   

Dn1gY5G.png6h2oKyj.png

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little update (been really busy), but I got the new crank sensor in and it is in fact reading a little over 900 ohms. Fired the car up for the first time, in a very long time. Running pretty rough :/ but nonetheless, it ran. Now I have some work to do.

Log 2023-09-28 9;18;56 pm - first start.llg