Questions about Sti v10 basemap

Wildt267

First question involves the stoichiometric ratio. I noticed in your basemap it's set to 14.70.  Do they not have 10% ethanol in your gas in New Zealand or do things work better setting it to that as opposed to 14.1?  

My second question is about the injection timing.  I see in the basemap its 470 btdc.  I did a calculation and ended up at 360.  I do have upgraded cams and I do understand that injection timing isn't crucial past the bottom of the midrange but my concern is how far off my number was. I've tried setting the injector timing at idle but i never have the afr constant enough to get a good read of if i'm making it better or worse.  I am using asynchronous injection so if i probably shouldn't be let me know.

3rd question is i calculated my knock frequency at 5.7 kHz and noticed yours is a wide  6-10khz or something.  I was hoping for insight and wisdom on how you picked that.  I read your thread about scoping a few different engines and got really interested in this. Btw when i went to double check the factory basemap on your knock settings knock control was disabled.  Was that intentional?

One last question is was your basemap done on a 2.0 liter or did your Stis come with ej257s like the USDMs did?

I'm only asking these nitpicking questions because i'm getting inconsistent fueling and i'm trying to tie up loose ends one variable at a time. I do love all the freedom your ecu gives.  It just means there are a lot of tables and variables to dial in.  I'm sure i don't need to tell you lol.

As always thank you for your patience and all of your help. 

Yes, most of our premium fuel here doesnt have any ethanol as there is no ethanol production here.  I couldnt guarantee our pump gas does actually have a stoich ratio of 14.7 however, that is more a guess.  

4 hours ago, Wildt267 said:

My second question is about the injection timing.  I see in the basemap its 470 btdc.  I did a calculation and ended up at 360.

There is no calculation you can do for injection timing, you can only find the best instant experimentally.  Injector location, injection duration, spray pattern, valve timing and intake resonance mean there is not even really a rule of thumb.  If you cant see a trend in AFR when varying injector timing at fast idle then it probably means it is of little consequence with your hardware.  

Our V10 base map is quite old and from before my time, from early G4+, or possibly even Vipec days, so I dont know much about the car it came from, how long we had it or how well it was tuned, but our V11 map was tuned by me personally and I drove it around a lot during CAN development so I do know that one fairly well.  I ended up at 470deg in that also, but I do remember there being FA difference from injection timing on that car.    

4 hours ago, Wildt267 said:

3rd question is i calculated my knock frequency at 5.7 kHz and noticed yours is a wide  6-10khz or something.  I was hoping for insight and wisdom on how you picked that.  I read your thread about scoping a few different engines and got really interested in this. Btw when i went to double check the factory basemap on your knock settings knock control was disabled.  Was that intentional?

Use the knock settings from our V11 base map.  The knock control was well optimized in that and worked best at 8KHz (EJ207).  An EJ257 might require a different frequency but the bulk of the settings will likely be very close.  

22 hours ago, Wildt267 said:

One last question is was your basemap done on a 2.0 liter or did your Stis come with ej257s like the USDMs did?

Im not sure for the V10 base map, the V11 base map was from a 2.0.  We get a fairly even mix of both here at a guess, we have a relaxed trade agreement with Japan so the vast majority of 2nd hand cars sold here are imported used from Japan.  The 2.0JDM version has a reputation as a stronger engine and compared to our NZ new ones (based on AUDM I think) they have a few other desirable features such as push button start, 6spd instead of 5, bigger brakes, etc.  

• 3 weeks later...

@Adamw I got a v11 link installed a couple of weeks ago in my v11 grb - and saw your post above saying "use the knock settings from our v11 basemap" - my tuner who did the install and initial tune for me used the knock ignition trims system and it works fine :) but its not the normalised system you setup in the v11 base map - does your comment mean i can transfer across the knock settings from the base map into my map and make use of them as is - or would it need a re-tweak on a dyno to work properly on my engine? (has injectors and a turbo back catless exhaust)

is it even worth doing do you think if the knock system has been setup nicely for me already?