another 4g63 no start

dsmchris

sequential ignition using denso 90919-02240 coils. kiggly 12 tooth trigger with cut as per included instructions stock hall effect cas.

triggers check ok. ign and inj test modes display proper function.

compression is equal accross all cylinders at 155-160psi

injectors spray as commanded.

coils fire the plugs outside of cylinders and can hear the discharge with them installed. timing light shows coil activity with the exception of cyl#1 being overactive.

synced the crank trigger and tried multiple points in the process, 0, 90, 180, 270, 340-359, and got the most consistent timing mark hits at -22.

tried reinitializing triggers by changing to reluctor, saving, then back to hall. put uncut stock guts back in the cas and resetup trigger.

changed enough settings to have probably compounded this issue.

gas is new sunoco 93 and burns fine in the other car.

in test mode, the trigger gets a sawtooth waveform that starts at 0v, appears to be charging to 5.5v, then drops as it should. not a perfect square, it looks like it is charging a coil. power and ground are both good. when i turn the key to start, this signal is lost and there is an occasional blip. this even happens if i disconnect the trigger wires and test just outside of the ecu.

engine has cranked at 11.98v

i see no engine protections active and they are set to fuel cut.

tuesdaynight.jpg

Log 2023-09-27 11;05;43 pm.llg

What ecu is it?  A VR4 or Evo? 

Can you attach a copy of the tune and the scope file.  It appears to be a trigger issue from the look of the dwell trace.  

I would also suggest you download the latest G4+ PC Link and install that and update your firmware.  You are currently using 5.6.4 firmware which is ~7 years old and 5.6.5 software.  The latest G4+ software and firmware version is 5.6.8.

vr4. i may have pulled up an evo base map in my comparing settings and accidentally saved a wrong one?

there is no scope file, i can post up a pic of the screen on the meter.

ill update when i get some time tomorrow. the car has been sitting in the basement for about 4 years.

eclipsemodelled.pclr

This is the ignition coil test function. Cannot do a cranking test as it is late night where I am.

20230928_022102.jpg

That map has the trigger mode set to Evo 1-6 so that's not going to work with the Kiggly 12T.  But I dont think that was the case when you done the log.  

But yes, the ignition output signal is definitely not right, I didnt get thats what you were talking about earlier with "trigger waveform".  That looks very much like your coils are pinned wrong and the ignition drive is connected to the high current primary, rather than the trigger wire.  

There are lots of very poor-quality fake 90919-02240 coils around too, so that could be another possibility.  

Just to confirm; Looking into the coil housing, pinout should be Left = Pin 1 = Ground, Pin 2 = ECU ign output, 3 = not connected, 4 = +12V.

Ng3gAMI.png

Yes, I switched back to a stock crank/cam sensor to eliminate the 12 tooth trigger as the problem. I will have to run another trigger scope as I could not locate the most recent one. 

I get the same waveform on all 4 ign outputs, even with the wiring disconnected before going through the harness to the engine compartment. 

I suspect one coil to be a fake, but so far it behaves the same as the other three. 

The coil wiring is correct and verified to work in test mode. 

20230928_071025.jpg