Trigger scope, signal condition

Mcfly94

Hi guys,

I've taken a log of my triggers while running.

Ford Windsor V8

Ford VR crank sensor in the 36-1.

Ford VR cam sensor.

It appears okay to me. Car was previously running fine, made a new engine loom, car started okay, took a few revolutions. Idles okay but as soon as crack the throttle, it appears to be stuck in idle ignition and runs very poorly.

I need to verify trigger offset but I didn't remove the cam sync so no reason it should be different.

Trigger Scope Log 2023-09-30 4;25;13 am.llg

Thanks Adam,

I did some my own checks during week before taking some logs, this was a perfectly running car although some recent upgrades, for some background info upgrades were:
- Roller Rockers stud mount 1.72 ratio upgrade to Jesel shaft rockers in 1.7 ratio (minimal change)
- Injector upgrade from Bosch Modified 1250cc to Unmodified 1650cc (changed Injector data)
- Add EMAP, EGTs, Turbo Speed, Crankcase PSI, Better resolution Coolant PSI sensor. 
- New engine harness in m22759, including upgrade of coil power wiring from 20G to 16G for IGN1A's
- Turbo upgrade from S475 T6 1.32 96mm Turbine to S488 T6 1.32 101mm Turbine
- Fresh Genuine Bosch 02 Sensor (old one sat around for a bit so didn't want to risk it), Fresh Spark Plugs gapped accordingly
- Exhaust manifold gasket upgrade to Copper from old composite, with Ti Studs.
- Upgrade MAP sensor from ViPec 2.5Bar to 4Bar

Pre start I flushed out the fuel tank with fresh E85.

Tonight I set the car to Trigger configuration and checked the Trigger offset with a timing light and confirmed its correct.

I did notice the TPS seemed to be not operating properly (Falcon E series slotted) I have adjusted pre load on TPS and calibrated, also calibrated new MAP.

Still no change with TPS calibration which I thought was the issue, once calibrated while engine off, the TPS% moves positively as I would expect, start the car and completely different, can crack throttle with it hardly changing and holding it in idle ignition.

Two Logs attached, one general rough running, one while I entered trigger calibration and checked timing offset with a light.

Also current Tune.

I'm leaning towards a bad TPS sensor, it is second hand to me, maybe 5-7years old, not sure if its common for a TPS to fail?

At this point I'm tempted to fit a variohm contactless TPS

Would love to hear others thoughts

Rough Running7.10.23.llg LTD Test Verify Trigger Offset with Light 7.10.23.llg LTD Tune 4.10.23.pclr

It's not unusual to get the odd trigger error when starting to crank or when stopping so I wouldnt be too concerned about that yet.  

But your TPS signal is definitely not working, it looks more like a wiring issue than a sensor issue however.  The only time you get any change in the TPS voltage is just as the starter stops cranking.  Possibly it is pinned wrong or the ground is connected to something it shouldn't be.  Start by confirming there is 5V and ground at the sensor and you have a nice linear voltage coming out when the throttle is moved.  

Thought it was wrong but its not.

Ford uses Black for ground, green for signal

I use green for signal ground and used black for TPS signal, i swapped them to match colours but wasnt even close.

Put back to correct per required signal and it works with engine off, will start tomorrow and try again