WRX104X Idle Issues

PhoSho

Howdy Link Gurus,

Background Info: 2004 USDM Forester XT (EJ25, 5MT, COP, DBW, VF39 Turbo), WRX104X, Link Can Lambda, Pump 93. This is my first standalone, so please forgive my noobishness. I am probably missing something obvious or I have just done something stupid - likely both.

Got through my initial startup today. Car ran really well while warming up. However, once my ECT hit ~83oC, the idle started surging up and down a few hundred RPMs, cyclically. I am thinking that idle control is not activating due to the APS/TPS lockout of 1%. I attempted calibrating the TPS several times (before and after the initial startup), but it always seems to sit around 3%-6%. I can see the TPS @ 0% briefly during calibration, but once I am out of setup it always reads open a few percent - any ideas on this? My map is just the WRX V10 basemap with calibrations run for MAP and TPS/APS.

Also, I noticed that my Bank 2 Cam Advance seems to be locked at ~22o. I wanted to see if anyone has any ideas on this before I tear into the timing belt to check the marks.

I should also note that the car ran well on the factory ECU just prior to the G4X swap. I haven't made any other changes since then with the exception of the G4X and Can Lambda. I would greatly appreciate any help and insight.

Log and Tune: Surging starts around 3:40.

Startup.llgxInitial Startup.pclx

There is an updated V10 base map in G5 PC link which has some better idle settings.  If you go to >file>compare, then choose the V10 base map, the differences in your map will be highlighted in red, change those to match the yellow.  

Yours isn't entering idle mode probably mostly from the dashpot offset being too big and the RPM lockout being too low.

There were also changes to accel fuel in the newer base map so copy those changes as well.

Bank 2 VVT is working correctly, it is sitting at 22deg as you have a target of 22deg.  Bank 1 is not working, it is showing errors.  Most likely you just need to do the calibration.  With the engine warmed up and at a fast idle, set the cam angle test to "calibrate", it should take a couple of seconds then turn itself off when done.  

FYScAoF.png 

Thanks Adam. I will make these changes tomorrow and report back.

My TPS sits at ~6.5% with key on, engine off. Is that normal?

Update: I compared the V10 map in the G5 folder and none of the differences you highlighted are present (they match what is in my current map). I made the changes to the Idle Control, but I can't see the Enrichment changes. Can you send me the new V10 version?

4 hours ago, PhoSho said:

Thanks Adam. I will make these changes tomorrow and report back.

Update: I compared the V10 map in the G5 folder and none of the differences you highlighted are present (they match what is in my current map). I made the changes to the Idle Control, but I can't see the Enrichment changes. Can you send me the new V10 version?

I think I have figured out my TPS confusion. I was worried that with the TPS sitting at >0.5% that it would lockout idle control, which obviously doesn't make sense given that idle control inherently requires TPS control (outside of idle ignition control). The help file explained that the APS/TPS lockout will only look at APS when the idle actuator is set to E-Throttle. I should have looked there first.

Yes, APS should be at 0, TPS will either be sitting in the start-up position (Base position + start-up offset) if "run when stalled" is set to run, or it will be sitting in the sprung-neutral position if it is set to quiet mode.  The start up position will vary with temperature, but often around 7% for a cold start and 3% for a warm start.

Sorry about that, the updated map may not have made it out to public release yet.  Attached below.  

Subaru WRX V10 G4X Xtreme Plugin.pclx

Update Time:

1. The idle control changes you recommended fixed my idle issue. I now sit at a steady 850 at operating temp. Idle return is smooth after throttle blips.
  2. The cam sync issue on Bank 1 was corrected with the cam sync calibration. Both cams track correctly now.

I had to adjust the base MAP delta lockout for CLL of 10kPa/100ms to 20kPa to get into CLL operation at idle. I don't have any MAP filtering active, but I don't see why I would need it either. Car is mostly stock right now. Any ideas on what could be causing the MAP reading to oscillate so much at idle? I am running the factory MAP sensor, factory turbo inlet, factory intercooler. I am pretty sure I don't have any boost/vacuum leaks. I can post a log of the idle tomorrow once I get back to the car, but figured I could ask first in case it is an easy answer.

Thanks for all the help so far!