Storm g4+ to turbosmart Egate setup

Mattjp1127

Good evening guys 

I’m looking for a little advise has any one used a turbo smart Egate with there black box on a storm ecu yet 

I’m after some setup advise so I can get this thing set up and working right before I drive my tuner mad or things don’t do as they should on the dyno 

id like to run this over can as most of the inputs/outputs of my storm are in use on my bike already so it would be far simpler to wire that way 

has any one done this yet , what did you come up against and how have you got on controlling the boost 

thanks in advance

matt 

Thanks for the reply adam 

I wanted to control it on the can stream if poss as I have plans for all the other outputs , the storm is almost out of out/inputs controlling everything on my turbo bike as it’s running all the pneumatic gearbox shifting air pumps additional methanol injectors ext ext 

I have spoken to turbosmart and they say it can be done and the storm is capable of running it 

The reason for going over to a E gate is , if I use a 3 port max valve for boost control it’s nice and smooth but I can’t get it to make any more then 26psi on a 7psi spring so the bike won’t back half

and as the bike is a true street bike I don’t want to go over to co2 

if I use a 4port quick spool it’s mental and will make as much boost as you command but it’s way to aggressive so will wheelie everywhere down the track lol

we have tried everything to get either or setup to work

and the 3rd issue is a 7psi  wg spring is way to much boost at the hit in 1st so you have to be very careful on the hit or as to how long you leave it on the anti lag / launch 

so I’m hoping to have a few boost control tables in play here…. Target 3/4psi on the launch for 1-2 secs after the clutch comes out and then a nice ramp through all the gears 

hopefully this is going to be achievable!!

You can send the wastegate DC over CAN no worries, but what Im saying is you will still need an aux output assigned to "boost solenoid" in the software for the G4+ boost control function to work, so sending the signal over CAN is not going to save you an output - you will still need an output assigned to boost solenoid and you arent going to be able to use that output for anything else, so you might as well just wire it to the black box anyway.  

• 3 months later...

Thanks so much for your reply adam , resurrecting this old thread now as lots of life has got in the way of the bike 

is there any further info of what could be achieved with the e gate back box and a g4+

will I have enough functionality to punch in a target boost psi number into the boost tables and it will will make that 

im just concerned about spending a chunk of change and this thing won’t achieve what im looking for 

thanks again 

14 hours ago, Mattjp1127 said:

will I have enough functionality to punch in a target boost psi number into the boost tables and it will will make that 

An "E-Gate" is just a different actuator to move the valve in the wastegate, all the same principles and limitations apply as a pneumatic gate, the min and max boost you will be able to achieve will be determined by the turbo system as a whole, not just the gate.  The set up and tuning of the control system will be more complex than a pneumatic gate as you now have 2 separate control loops to tune.  One for the position control which will usually be done in the "black box" (ie like tuning an E-throttle so that the wastegate position follows its position target) and then the closed loop boost control part needs to be set up and tuned in the ecu just like normal.  

Thanks again adam 

iv spoken to quite a few people over the week end and there are a few things to try with the pneumatic setup with a 4 port solenoid and a lighter base spring first 

I’d prefer to stick with traditional boost control as I’m very familiar with it and if it goes down It’s not a major drama to repair at the track or on the street

hopefully I’ll be able to find a setup which will leave nicely like a 3 port valve does yet be able to generate 30-35psi boost to punch it down the big end

thanks again buddy I appreciate your advice